Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Customer Service Fail - Red Limited  (Read 2275 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Weber Customer Service Fail - Red Limited
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »
So about a week ago I posted pics of the color change when my limited gets hot. That was exciting to see.  What was not so exciting was when I saw that the edge of the lid was already starting to show signs of rust and oxidation. So I filed a claim, expecting they’d make it right. Well, after multiple contacts and requests for pictures, I was told it “meets specifications” and that they were not going to take any action. Very disappointing to say the least. I have a direct contact at Weber from when I did a trade with them last year, which I was hesitant to use. But I couldn’t let this go. So I contacted this person, making it clear that I was not contacting them for action.  I didn’t want to abuse the relationship since Weber was very generous in the past with the trade. My only intent was to convey information to one of their top execs, that if this is what meets specs, then they should seriously reconsider making any more  “Special Edition” products through foreign manufacturers. Hopefully the point has been conveyed. If nothing else, at least you all know and can make informed decisions on future purchases. Still love Weber. Just disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber Customer Service Fail - Red Limited
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
I’d post it on FB to stir up some noise. They probably don’t like bad press/pr and might reach out to you to make it right. The new LE is sad to see. Not what you’d expect from Weber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
I’d post it on FB to stir up some noise. They probably don’t like bad press/pr and might reach out to you to make it right. The new LE is sad to see. Not what you’d expect from Weber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to consider.  I'll give it a day or two to see if I hear back.  If not, probably will take that route.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 02:10:38 AM »
Maybe it's the picture quality. From what I can see, it doesn't look bad.  Maybe that was their impression too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 04:05:03 AM »
Hit it with a power sander and some 60 grit, then send an updated picture.
Well, delete this post before sending the new picture.

But seriously... any kettle this new and that damaged should not be up to their standards. I am sorry that is what they said. Do you have several grills registered on your account? Maybe that will help?
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 05:03:59 AM »
As with paint missing from leg sockets, they aren't going to cover smaller cosmetic issues like this. But damn if that don't look pinkish instead of red. And the rust on the lip is something you only see after some use. Their painter truly found a way to save money by applying the thinnest amount they could get away with.

At this point, I'd use the snot out of it. Make it your daily cooker. Somewhere between now and 10 years, you've got additional claims you can make. But keep in mind, they don't warranty against rust. They warranty against rust-through, if I'm not mistaken.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:53:47 AM »
That's not good at all.  We have seen so much damage on new kettles it will be really interesting to see how they hold up after a few years of cooking.  I can't see Weber doing this again and have officially called this one a loss. 

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:27:33 AM »
I had a similar issue with Weber CS too and I was very disappointed with the outcome.  I do not think I will purchase a brand new Weber grill again unless it is a Summit.  If I lived in the Chicago area which I do not I would seriously throw my Red LE through their front window like the old Discount Tire commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1dFHmFCRk

Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »
I see this being the future of Weber warranty support. With the popularity of social media and so many people publicly putting in warranty claims for second hand grills, there is no wonder as to why they are migrating to overseas production and denied claims even to original owners. I'm guilty of doing so in the past and I accept the fact that I contributed to this problem.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:28 AM »
I still think it depends on the product. If future colored grills are made by whomever fucked this up in China, then yeah more of the same. But if Weber finds a better vendor (and surely they'd want to do so ... ?) then we (and Weber) will be OK regardless of where they are made.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
I lived in Phoenix for a couple years while those were running.  Moved back to Chicago & Discount Tire followed a couple years later.  I believe they will still repair your tire for free (if possible), regardless of where you purchased it.

I had a similar issue with Weber CS too and I was very disappointed with the outcome.  I do not think I will purchase a brand new Weber grill again unless it is a Summit.  If I lived in the Chicago area which I do not I would seriously throw my Red LE through their front window like the old Discount Tire commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE1dFHmFCRk
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 08:55:31 AM »
Patience @mcgolden.  Just break out an old set of charcoal rails & bank the coals up the sides of the grill on every cook.  Maybe even make it your dedicated high temp pizza oven. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:57:25 AM by PotsieWeber »
regards,
Hal

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
This may sound cruel, but; Does your grill cook? Is it functional? I do not believe that Weber warranties "pretty".

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
What if you can push the lid off the grill without lifting it?  Would you consider that an issue?
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 12:26:00 PM »
I can push the lid off any of my grills.