Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Santa Maria Attachment  (Read 6047 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Santa Maria Attachment
« on: April 05, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »
I've not seen this attachment before.  Anyone have it?

https://youtu.be/JMN8PT3NqCk

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Cellar2ful

Re: Santa Maria Attachment
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »

@dazzo  has one and brought it to last years WKC West Coast picnic.  The tri-tip was amazing. 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
Nice!

Several YouTubers have profiled those recently. T-ROY cooks, I think  BBM and Phil in Florence. I really want one too but sort of want to go for a built in one. That's pretty common here, even in northern California. There is a big one at the park up the street that is maintained by the city and can be reserved. We also have a friend/neighbor up the street with a smaller one built into a nice counter with sink. I have requested a test drive.  :)
YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:13:45 PM »
I've always wondered what advantage these have. Is it another way to do a cowboy cook, i.e. cook beef over open flame without burning, due to the distance?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:24:39 PM »
Nice!
I really want one too but sort of want to go for a built in one.
An option is the caliente stacker. You'll have the advantage of a enclosed sides for more radiant heat and also being able to use the lid if need be. 

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
Advantages... not sure, it's just the way its been done here in the central california, namely, Santa Maria, hence the name.  Normally tri tip and a good hot bed of red oak firewood. The guy thats makes these lives here in paso robles as do I. I delivered dazzos to him and eventually bought me one.  I guess the "advantages" would be not having to reserve and haul your stuff to the park, still having a cool way to do some grilling AND best of all, still getting to do it on a Weber!!    (and the caliente stacker isn't true santa maria style)

Untitled by Darin McMaster, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:33:51 PM by varekai »
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
The guy thats makes these lives here in paso robles as do I. I delivered dazzos to him and eventually bought me one.  I guess the "advantages" would be not having to reserve and haul your stuff to the park, still having a cool way to do some grilling AND best of all, still getting to do it on a Weber!!    (and the caliente stacker isn't true santa maria style)

With Santa Maria, it's about the flavor and not the grill. The red oak firewood is not even readily available outside of the central coast. Can't find it here in the Bay Area. Seasoning is salt and pepper only, maybe garlic.

This guy? Billy Ruiz?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pcDRpxz-6M

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 04:54:54 PM »
I see these advertised on CL all the time and have considered getting one.  I might get one this summer.  The company here in CA that makes them is Gabbys Grills.  I think they ship all over.  http://gabbysgrills.com/
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 05:57:12 PM »
Baby back maniac used his WSM to mimic Santa Maria style. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 04:41:01 AM »
Personally, I have never seen the advantage. Luv 2see one in action tho...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 08:26:03 AM »

Agreed. For "Santa Maria" style it has more to do with the flavor and technique than the gadget. The cut can be either tri tip or a top sirloin. Seasoning is just salt and pepper and I have read from central coast locals that garlic powder is sometimes added to the larger top sirloin cuts. And then of course there is the red oak firewood that is even hard to source when you are in the same state (just 5 hours north). You could do the cook over a two zone open fire and just do a reverse sear. No need for the gadget.  I still want one, though.  :)

I like Malcom Reed and follow his channel. I also make flank and skirt steak carne asada tacos with salsa quite frequently. At the same time, it is more about the Santa maria flavor than the gadget. Carne asada i sjust a direct hot and fast cook anyway. I wish Malcom would have done a more authentic "Santa Maria" cook.

62burban

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »
Highly recommended

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 12:30:24 PM »

Agreed. For "Santa Maria" style it has more to do with the flavor and technique than the gadget. The cut can be either tri tip or a top sirloin. Seasoning is just salt and pepper and I have read from central coast locals that garlic powder is sometimes added to the larger top sirloin cuts. And then of course there is the red oak firewood that is even hard to source when you are in the same state (just 5 hours north). You could do the cook over a two zone open fire and just do a reverse sear. No need for the gadget.  I still want one, though.  :)

I like Malcom Reed and follow his channel. I also make flank and skirt steak carne asada tacos with salsa quite frequently. At the same time, it is more about the Santa maria flavor than the gadget. Carne asada i sjust a direct hot and fast cook anyway. I wish Malcom would have done a more authentic "Santa Maria" cook.
I have to disagree.  That's like saying 2 zone chicken is the same as doing it on a roti.  With a Santa Maria setup, you get all the benefit of a direct fire cook with less concern of burning/charring the meat  due to the distance from the direct heat.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:41:38 AM by demosthenes9 »

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
I don't care the reason,  they're just too much fun!

(Let's see if the pics attached)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »
Question for you guys that have this attachment.  I'm wondering how/where you store this attachment when not using it?  It looks very awkward to put away when not in use...
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP