Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: High temps, porcelain damage & related questions  (Read 1202 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
High temps, porcelain damage & related questions
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:27:13 AM »
I've read on here that there might be issues with banking the coals up the sides of the kettle.  Basically, that it can result in significant damage to the porcelain. 
I've also seen it suggested that the black kettles (or perhaps just the old black kettles) can survive that with little to no ill effects. 

I have several questions.

1) Does anyone know if high heat (if the coals are NOT against the sides, but a bit away) results in porcelain damage or if the coals must be against the porcelain for it to be an issue(I'm looking at high heats that you want for cooking pizzas). 

2) Does anyone know if the alleged ill affects actually are less with the black kettles or if it's possible that it is just assumed based on the poor condition we often see a color kettle in?  After all, it's possible the black ones just wind up getting tossed in the trash heap sooner when they get in bad shape because it is easy to get another, whereas people might keep the colors longer (or save them when they see them on a trash heap) simply because you don't see them as often & are less likely to see them at the local HD, Ace or whatever.  Anyone have personal experience on porcelain loss on blacks or colors? 

3) Theoretically you should get higher temps out of a one-touch (because of total surface area of the 3 elongated vents compared to the temperatures you'd achieve with an old kettle that has three daisy wheels on the bottom.  Anyone ever try pizzas using the old 3 daisy wheelers &, if so, what was your experience?

Thanks for any info you have.

Thanks all
regards,
Hal

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: High temps, porcelain damage & related questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »
This thread convinced me not to use the Cado for pizza.  I bought a $5 black in case I get into it.  I don't know that black is less susceptible to damage.    Its more of a "who cares" type of thing.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/does-the-heat-hurt-tor-kettle/msg299455/#msg299455

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »

I have not conducted an experiment but all of the "crazing" (high heat damage) I have seen is on colored kettles.  The only crazing I have seen to black porcelain was on a Weber fire pit.  Both the bottom and top are crazed from high heat damage.  Here is an example of extreme heat damage or crazing.  This bowl was used as a fire pit.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 11:48:16 AM »
Good point.

This thread convinced me not to use the Cado for pizza.  I bought a $5 black in case I get into it.  I don't know that black is less susceptible to damage.    Its more of a "who cares" type of thing.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/pizza-forum/does-the-heat-hurt-tor-kettle/msg299455/#msg299455
regards,
Hal

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
I fall squarely in the camp of feeling life is too short to try and see if an old, colored kettle can withstand super high heat and/or banked coals over a period of time. Just get a used black one for pizzas.

Pretty much every old, used Weber I've come across has bowl pockmarks and weakening welds showing through at the grate straps when there's zero evidence a charcoal holder had ever been used. Even the old wire charcoal holders (which do nothing to insulate but do keep coals off the sides) help. The normal aluminized steel ones are better yet, and something stainless (and thicker) such as a Slow 'n Sear should be better insurance still.

But even if you overcome all of that, with super high heat the lid handle welds are gonna take a beating, lower vents or sweeps wear faster, sockets rust faster and so on.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch