Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber Charcoal Basket Cleanup  (Read 1101 times)

jandrew2537@gmail.com

• Happy Cooker
Weber Charcoal Basket Cleanup
« on: March 25, 2018, 04:54:51 AM »
I picked up a used performer yesterday. I just started cleaning on it. This is the first time I have had charcoal baskets and wanted some quick tips on knocking the rust off of them. Any tips or pointed to the right thread is appreciated. 

I attached some early pics. She has a lot of promise. I did a quick early stripe on the lid. A little elbow grease and this performer will look like new.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:56:52 AM by jandrew2537@gmail.com »
Blue 22inch OTG, Blue SSP, 26inch Black, Black CM 22 OTG, Black DR 22 OTG, "C" Series 18 WSM, Red C Series, Yellow 22, Avocado 22, Coppermist

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber Charcoal Basket Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 07:42:44 AM »
The wire baskets are going to rust no matter what you do to them.
Use a scraper or wire brush and they will be ready to cook with..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 08:26:58 AM »
+1
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:41:20 AM »
Yup. They gonna rust up no matter what you do. If they are in that bad of shape, toss 'em and get replacements. Or buy a Vortex... 8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
Those aren't the wire baskets. 

Anyway, don't spend time restoring them.  Cook with them until they rust through.  They are not expensive to replace when the time comes.  If you can find stainless steel replacements, those will last longer.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »
Those aren't the wire baskets. 

Anyway, don't spend time restoring them.  Cook with them until they rust through.  They are not expensive to replace when the time comes.  If you can find stainless steel replacements, those will last longer.

^^ This. ^^ They are aluminized steel and will rust and still last a decent while. $15 anywhere, so don't sweat it. Take a look at Marty's Bigger Better Basket thread for ideas on how to modify them into a single large container (and why you may want to do that, or buy another set and have both ... )

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/a-bigger-better-basket-case/msg285107/#msg285107
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch