Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?  (Read 4337 times)

racedvl

• WKC Brave
Re: Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 05:37:53 PM »
How can I tell if a kettle has a set of SS sweeps..?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
How can I tell if a kettle has a set of SS sweeps..?

See comments #3, #5,#6

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 05:52:09 PM »
I guess if I would have read the first page......  DOH!

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 03:00:13 AM »
   Placed my order for the 90720, package showed up opened one of them up. Strike one the sweeps did not have the look of SS. Strike two the magnet stuck to it as if it were aluminized. Strike three to confirm I went to a known SS set and the magnet was not attracted to it at all. Called weber up and came to the conclusion it could be human error in the packing process there is a work around in progress. Got my fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 05:30:39 AM »
   Placed my order for the 90720, package showed up opened one of them up. Strike one the sweeps did not have the look of SS. Strike two the magnet stuck to it as if it were aluminized. Strike three to confirm I went to a known SS set and the magnet was not attracted to it at all. Called weber up and came to the conclusion it could be human error in the packing process there is a work around in progress. Got my fingers crossed.

Wow, it's good to test what you get!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 05:59:20 AM »
Just a couple of glances are all it takes for me to know if it's a ss or aluminized steel, and this applies to new or used.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 06:45:17 AM »
Just a couple of glances are all it takes for me to know if it's a ss or aluminized steel, and this applies to new or used.
What's the secret?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 07:00:06 AM »
What's the secret?

I have the same opinion as Jules.

The SS have a different sheen. They are smoother and slightly polished looking opposed to the dull appearance of standard sweeps.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 08:25:22 AM »
What's the secret?

Weber Kettle Club mobile app
[/quote]

L: 2010 ss
R: 2016 aluminized
Aluminized have a grayish discoloration due to oxidization. Rust spots  sizes and location are inconsistent. H clip assembly is fully covered with rust.  Didn't get a chance to knock off the crud and ashes on the ss, but rust on the ss are generally a lot more consistent throughout and with smaller specks and also lighter in color.

Here's how the ss looks like after 5 minutes of clean up using a drill-attached wire brush and 220 grit sand paper.
Now which one would you rather use? Heck I would rather have a 10yr old ss than 2 brand new aluminized sweeps.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »
@Jules V. Thanks so much for the info and especially the pictures! Like @bigssa I also have a C&B green performer. I checked the sweeps today and they look like the dirty SS sweeps Jules V. They are less dirty but the center H section looks exactly the same. So I'm pretty sure I have SS sweeps too!! Did they just include them on the C&B performers? I also have a non-C&B black performer deluxe from the same year (2010). That one is extremely dirty so I haven't check the sweeps yet to see if they are SS.

Interestingly enough though one of the sweep blades on the C&B performer was slightly bent upward so that it wouldn't cover the bowl vent. I was able to bent it downward back into place. I don't know how the previous owner got that to happen unless it was before/during installation.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:42:09 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 06:52:25 PM »
@Jules V. Thanks so much for the info and especially the pictures! Like @bigssa I also have a C&B green performer. I checked the sweeps today and they look like the dirty SS sweeps Jules V. They are less dirty but the center H section looks exactly the same. So I'm pretty sure I have SS sweeps too!! Did they just include them on the C&B performers? I also have a non-C&B black performer deluxe from the same year (2010). That one is extremely dirty so I haven't check the sweeps yet to see if they are SS.
If your sweeps are  bent upwards, remove it from the bowl and bend it downwards . Another option is to clean the bottom of the bowl and then place a heavy object on top of the bent sweeps to keep down. Leave it for a few hours or overnight.
No matter what sweeps you use, they'll eventually bend upwards if the bottom of the grill is not scraped regularly. Sweeps are no match for crud/gunk buildup especially from foods that contain a lot of sugar such as barbecue sauce.
See comments #3 & 6 regarding the years  or models ss sweeps were used. The random ss sweeps that were used after 2009 were probably leftover stocks that weber used before they transitioned to aluminized.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:33:44 PM by Jules V. »

DynaGlide

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »
Glad I fell into a Gen 2. Didn't even know at the time it had all the best parts.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 08:01:37 PM »
Were there ever 18” sweeps in SS?  OTG’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 04:15:26 AM »
Were there ever 18” sweeps in SS?  OTG’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Yes. 2000-2012

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 04:17:26 AM »
Sorry that question was worded strangely and caught me off guard.

SS sweeps were to be had on OTG 22” from 2000-2012. I’m not sure if they used SS on the 18”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.