Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?  (Read 4334 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?
« on: March 22, 2018, 04:58:46 PM »
I finally got around to cleaning the C&B grass green performer. It was pretty easy going and when I got to the ash sweeps, I was shocked by how easily they cleaned up and how spotless they look. It got me thinking that these might be stainless steel and I was wondering if anybody knows of any markings that would distinguish stainless steel ash sweeps.
Sorry for the lack of pics, but it is completely dark outside when I finished cleaning.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:04:54 PM »
The mark you are looking for is actually a lack of marks. If they were buried in ash and after you cleaned them up you don't see rust. They are stainless steel. I have 2 gen2's  06 Crate and Barrel Grey and an 08 Crate and Barrel green. Both have the same SS sweeps. They are like new still.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 05:18:50 PM »
I picked up more than 10 gen2 the past year mostly to stockpile the ss sweeps and burners. Magnet will stick to it but very lightly unlike the aluminized steel.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
This is a 2010 gen 3 and by the way you are describing them, it sounds like I lucked out. They are spotless.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
Magnet test. You can tell right away when you compare it against aluminized.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 05:38:46 PM »
Don't know the exact year s they were used but every single gen2 that i picked up came with ss. Also found them on the later ssp. My 2011 platinum also came with ss sweeps.  The ss sweeps are slightly thicker gauge and therefore more stiff  and less likely to bend out of shape.  A 10yr old ss sweep will probably last more than twice as long compare to a brand new aluminized steel.  All my sweeps and burners are currently ss.

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
I bought several sets of SS sweeps in 2010.  Such a s teel at less than $8 each set.  Here is what to look for.

EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:03:17 PM »

I like @Jules V. have replaced all the ash sweeps of my one touch cookers with the SS sweeps I have taken out of kettles I flipped. Had to place an order with Weber CS today.  Weber still carries the SS one touch cleaning sweeps (part #90720).  They have over 400 of them in stock.  The price has gone up considerably since 2010 when @Hofy purchased his for $8 as set.  They now cost $24.80.  Still a deal considering the less expensive aluminized ones cost $15 that sometimes only last one year. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »
Still have 2 extra ss sweeps left waiting for the right bowl.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 06:27:44 PM »

I like @Jules V. have replaced all the ash sweeps of my one touch cookers with the SS sweeps I have taken out of kettles I flipped. Had to place an order with Weber CS today.  Weber still carries the SS one touch cleaning sweeps (part #90720).  They have over 400 of them in stock.  The price has gone up considerably since 2010 when @Hofy purchased his for $8 as set.  They now cost $24.80.  Still a deal considering the less expensive aluminized ones cost $15 that sometimes only last one year.

Thanks for the info. I might just buy from Weber because I already have a handful of kettles I bought for parts that I need to resell.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 06:31:06 PM »

$25 seems like a very good price. The one in this Kettle looks new. If they hold up this well the. They are worth the money.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Do I have stainless steel ash sweeps?
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
The 90720 is also on ereplacements for a little more than Weber.  Looks like this sweep is standard on some Euro kettles and also the Charcoal Summit.  I am guessing that is why Weber has good stock levels now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 05:32:37 AM by nolch01 »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »

Hmm, I'll have to start doing this!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 10:08:10 PM »
I'm into gen2's so  i pick up anything under $75 regardless of the table, lid n bowl condition. The ss sweeps n burner, regulator, tube frame, side panels, and wire rack is always worth $75.  Lid and bowl is just a bonus especially if it's anything other than black.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 12:09:03 PM »
   Does anybody know if there is a P/N for the 18" SS blades ?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.