Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My Epic 24 Hours of Online Hunting.  (Read 4227 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
My Epic 24 Hours of Online Hunting.
« on: March 20, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »
      For the short version, skip to the last line now.

Three weeks ago I was in Orlando to compete in the Sonny’s Smokin’ Showdown Invitational BBQ competition. I had some down time Friday morning so I scanned FB Marketplace and found a ’95 red mist SSP that was only about 40 miles away. I contacted the seller, negotiated a slightly lower price of $70, jumped in my truck and 2 hours later was back just in time for the Cook’s meeting at the contest. The lid and bowl on this are almost flawless. Score!

The BBQ contest prep work took up the rest of Friday and through the last turn in Saturday at 1:30pm. I was whipped so I took a seat in the peace and quiet of my cook trailer and started scrolling CL. I about fell out of my chair when an 18” yellow popped up, and in FL no less. I am not used to seeing anything old and of color in FL, but there it was. It had been up about 2 hours so I wasn’t real hopeful. I texted the guy, it was still available, we made a deal and he agreed to hold it until I could get a “friend” to pick it up. Problem was I didn’t have a friend anywhere near him, which was about 7 hours away from me. He notices my area code from my text, verifies that’s where I live, then says he’ll be about an hour away from there in a week and can bring it down. Sounds great to me, so we set that up. But I’ve been burned via CL deals in the past so I’m not holding my breath that this will actually happen. But fate is on my side and now she's mine. Score! Also I was able to arrange the pickup at the same time and place where I was picking up the lime I got in trade from @Golly. Double Score!

So now that that is over I go back to my seat to relax and I set my alarm for 30 mins 
and catch a little nap. Alarm goes off, I’ve got my phone in my hand, so I check CL again. This time I spot what looks like a really rare kettle but I figure it’s one of those WANTED listings from the WI area. But it’s not. Holy $hiT I’m staring at a Westerner. For Sale. On CL. For $40. It’s been up about an hour. The whole world can see it so I’m certain the seller’s been bombarded with buyers. But I call anyway and it turns out I’m the first caller. I don’t ask any questions, I tell him to consider it sold. The problem I have now is that this kettle is about 6 states away from me. I tell the seller that I’ll need to have my friend pick it up for me so let me get ahold of him and I’ll call you right back. He agrees. Now my challenge is to find someone I know who can get over there to pick this beauty up for me ASAP. The longer it takes the greater my odds of losing it I figure. I quickly put out a call for an agent here but I know it could take a while to get a response. Then I remember I’m at a national invitational contest so there are teams from around the country. After an hour of searching for someone from that area I finally get a lead and a phone number of someone who may be able to help. Turns out I know this barbecue’er so I give him a call. He quickly agrees to help except that he’s out of state on business for 5 days. Damnit man. But nothing else is an option so I roll the dice and call the seller back and say my buddy is unable to pick it up for 5 days and could he please hold it for me. Surprisingly he agrees, I have my buddy contact him to set up the meeting, and then the 5 day wait. I honestly did not expect he would still have it, but he did, I arranged shipping, and now there is a Westerner in Florida!

Short version: in about 24 hours I plucked out of the wild and online a looker red mist EO SSP, a cooker ’73 18” yellow Yachtsman, and a cooker ‘63 Wood Dale Westerner (Any old ash pans for a 26” out there?). Woot-woot!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 06:39:45 PM by Rub »
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: My Epic 24 Hours of Online Hunting.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55:40 PM »
WHAT!  THE WESTERNER!!!!  5 DAY HOLD!!!!  You are living well my friend!  Congratulations on the EPIC score!  That's my dream scenario right there. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:58:38 PM »
WOWWWWW - Super mega EPIC scores- Specially Yachtsman and Westerner. Congratulations @Rub . It may be time for another meet and check these new beauties in person.
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »
Congratulations mate. Adrenaline high for weeks I reckon

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
Nice scores. Congrats.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:07:14 PM »
That’s crazy good kettle karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »

Wow.  And I thought I was lucky.  Congratulations Rub!  That Westerner is really special.  Epic trip.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
Holy wow! Well done!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
WOW! ... Just WOW!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »
Wow that is amazing! Great luck! So how did the bbq comp go?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
Dam, very nice!!!

OzzyDingo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
Crazy good!

Sent from my iPhone 8.0 using Weber Kettle Club

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
What a great score!! Man, the club has really been finding some beauties. Congrats Rub!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
Nice work, Rub!!  What a string of epic scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule