Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First time pulled pork.... Finally!  (Read 2564 times)

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
First time pulled pork.... Finally!
« on: March 18, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »
So I am planning on smoking my first pork butt Friday night for my daughters birthday party on Saturday. I figure I have to start around 9 or 10:00 Friday night to make sure I allow enough time. We are planning on eating at 3:00 on Saturday. I will have to feed approximately 25 people between Saturday and Sunday. I have heard ½ - 1 pound of raw meat per person. Is this accurate? Pork butts around me are around 5 - 9 pounds. I am looking forward to finally making pulled pork. I will be using the snake method because that’s what I’m most comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
First time pulled pork.... Finally!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
Ok first...congrats on your first pulled pork attempt! I mean you have 3000+ posts, but you know...better late than never ;)

It won't take you nearly that long if you bump the temp a little and wrap with foil. What grate temp are you aiming for? Honestly, don't be afraid to go a little hotter with it. I tried the hot and fast method with pork butts after seeing @jcnaz do it, and haven't looked back. Seriously, it will shave hours off of your cook time and the results are still excellent. Injecting will make them even better, but not necessary. Just make sure you have a good thermometer like a Maverick or a Smoke and you'll crush it.

Find butts about the same size if you can. 7-8lb range is about where you want to be. Once you trim the fat you'll be about a lb light. Who is eating? Kids? Professional football players? I'd say about 1/2 lb per average person sounds right, especially if you have appetizers and sides. If people/parents are bringing food, you'll be just fine with 2 butts. Snake method on a...22" kettle? Two butts will fit and cook well.

PM if you want the lowdown on hot and fast and further suggestions.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 02:40:40 PM by Mike in Roseville »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: First time pulled pork.... Finally!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »
Here are two hot and fast I did recently: just before foil and sampling. I want to say they took about 6 hours to cook and another hour to rest (after I vented them a little).

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:14:50 PM »
@mhiszem , another option, if they are available in your area, are pork cushions,  here is a link to my post  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/wsm-weber-smokey-mountain/pork-cushion-on-the-wsm/   and here are the pics, https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157679968541515/with/32592461761/

the cushion meat is smaller pieces but more surface area for bark to form than a butt...Either way, Good Luck!!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »

@mhiszem , another option, if they are available in your area, are pork cushions,  here is a link to my post  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/wsm-weber-smokey-mountain/pork-cushion-on-the-wsm/   and here are the pics, https://www.flickr.com/photos/varekai/albums/72157679968541515/with/32592461761/

the cushion meat is smaller pieces but more surface area for bark to form than a butt...Either way, Good Luck!!!
i second the cushions. My GFS carries them.

I never smoke a whole butt any more. It uses too much fuel. I cut them in half and it reduces the cook time by half. Two 8 pounders? Or four 4 pounders? Same amount of meat and less time and fuel! I’ll even cut bone-in butts in half; it’s easy to do.

Any way, smoking pork shoulder is one of my end my family’s favorite things to do. Do it your way and I wish an enjoyable experience to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »

i second the cushions. My GFS carries them.

I never smoke a whole butt any more. It uses too much fuel. I cut them in half and it reduces the cook time by half. Two 8 pounders? Or four 4 pounders? Same amount of meat and less time and fuel! I’ll even cut bone-in butts in half; it’s easy to do.

Any way, smoking pork shoulder is one of my end my family’s favorite things to do. Do it your way and I wish an enjoyable experience to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
8 lb Butt should take 6 hours and two hours rest in a cooler.. put it in a pan SPG til 160 then pour in apple juice and cover in foil until IT is 205

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
I always figure 50% yield from butts and then figure 1/4 pound to maybe 1/3 pound of cooked meat per person...Fix a bit extra cause folks will want seconds...

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 01:44:13 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys! I picked up 2 - 8 pound bone in pork butts last night. I will be seasoning them up tonight with Memphis Dust and then probably start the cook tomorrow morning sometime. I am really looking forward to this.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 05:31:46 AM »
Right on! Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Don’t forget to have fun! Good luck. [emoji106]

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »
I always figure 50% yield from butts and then figure 1/4 pound to maybe 1/3 pound of cooked meat per person...Fix a bit extra cause folks will want seconds...

^This^ My standard as well.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 08:46:04 AM »
If you run out of pulled pork, you can always feed kids hamburgers and hot dogs.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »
If I use a three wheeler as one of the grills. Where is a good place to start with the vents to hold about 250 degrees? I’ve never done low and slow on a three wheeler.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 01:45:07 PM »

If I use a three wheeler as one of the grills. Where is a good place to start with the vents to hold about 250 degrees? I’ve never done low and slow on a three wheeler.

They are great for low and slow. I usually leave 2 closed and one open opposite of coals or at the break in the snake if using that method.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 05:11:51 PM »

They are great for low and slow. I usually leave 2 closed and one open opposite of coals or at the break in the snake if using that method.

+1

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 03:34:14 AM »
Got everything seasoned up around 4:00 this morning.
Temps have been holding about 250 on both since everything stabilized. Internal temps are about 120 degrees right now.