Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New weber thermos suck  (Read 1499 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New weber thermos suck
« on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:24 AM »
I installed not long ago. Worked great for the first few cooks and now reads 50 degrees to cool. I’ve tested my old thermo and I’ve tested against a digital thermo. The old weber thermo I have stuck in the vent is accurate and several years older. The old thermo is on my performer which never gets covered. The new thermo on the wsm has never been wet. It’s hard to tell but the old thermo is opposite the installed newer thermo and reads 250 while the new one is at 200

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: New weber thermos suck
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
Can you calibrate these by turning the dial?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:12 AM »

Can you calibrate these by turning the dial?

Not sure. I will have to look into that however I don’t have very much confidence because I don’t know what caused it from being accurate to being out of whack. This is my most babied grill as far as how I’ve taken care of it

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
Haha
I have installed my eight (8!) attempt of Weber temperature gauge a few weeks ago.
I guess the WSM thermometers are just rubbish.
I had some were the glass cracked under normal conditions.
I had two which stuck at 50/60 degrees and the others where always steamy and started to rust inside.
Each thermometer was substituted by Weber without any costs and issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 04:15:23 PM »
The old style thermometer in the vent can be calibrated. I have a vise for my drill press with a v channel machined in it. I place the thermo in boiling water for the initial test, then clamp the stem in the groove firmly, then twist the dial by hand. Then retest in boiling water.
Just be sure not to squeeze it to tight in the vise. If you do it will not work at all. Just tight enough not to spin.

The newer style I am unsure if you can.
But now I want to try it [emoji848]

I just remembered that I have one from a newer Genesis that I added to my old OTG black. It's in the attic in storage. I may need to dig it out and try.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:25:37 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 11:55:11 AM »
I was able to fix my weber thermo permanently.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New weber thermos suck
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »
Those of you who have installed river country, I drilled the hole large enough for the threads to pass through. I put the washer on the top side and the nut on the inside. Is this correct?

I first drilled a 1/2” hole and it was threading right into the lid. I then decided I wanted the threads to pass through without threading in so I enlarged the hole. I’m not sure I should have done that. Hind sight I would have left it at 1/2”

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:58:38 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
New weber thermos suck
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »
I did a dry run and the digital thermo at grate level ran more or less exactly the same as the new dome thermo. The most it was ever different was 10 degrees. I’ve never understood how the myth that states you shouldn’t trust your done thermo got started. The truth is, dome temp isn’t different in a smoker setting which is really the only time you care about accurate temps. It’s still a good idea to periodically check the accuracy of your thermos against a known accurate one. Digital or analog.