Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The reward at the end of the rainbow: UPDATED with resto/after photos  (Read 12209 times)

bryanw21157

• WKC Ranger
Re: The reward at the end of the rainbow
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »
I will be on the lookout, Bman
The only thing better than BBQ is more BBQ
Black Performer -- 18-1/2" Coca-Cola OTS -- Mini WSM -- 18-1/2" WSM -- 1997 Blue OTG -- 2014 Jumbo Joe / WSM

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »

"The only thing better than finding your dream grill is having a friend you've never met help you do it. "

All of the newer (old)ones I've found have come from " Hey Buckie !!!! LOOK at this !!!"

I've  only diddled in CL & Ebay & don't have a Smart phone, a dumb phone, a phone that I even know how to get the message off of.........guess what I'm tryng to say is I'm a troglydite from a bygone era & because of Alfonso & Duke & P.Gummi & others too numerous to mention ( a cast of at least dozens ) I'm able to snatch up good ones.....

there's been a few that got away, a few that I was attempting to angle in on for other people
( this is probably where I may be able to help the most.......I've had the thought of scooping up a stock of brownies & then sending them off to all the folks that can't find them in their areas)
& have a mental, ongoing list of people that covet some certain things, not just based on what I pick up, but other conversations that I see go by...............

Can't always go out on a limb, but will do what I am able, even if it sometimes seems daffy & unreasonable, to help a fellow kettlehead.......

the other aspect is to add inas much as I can to the cooking & ideas & methods stuff, as a way of saying thanks for the help I get in other ways.....

Like the old G. Dead song goes: " Singin' Thank You....for a real good time !!!"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
The reward at the end of the rainbow
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
Outstanding teamwork Bman, Mike and everyone here. This is what it's all about! Enjoying a mutual hobby and hooking a brother and a sister up with everything from rare and spare parts to Holy Grails. Great fun, a hobby that pays back to our families and friends in great food creates new memories, new recipes and techniques, and some badass looking kettles and a band of brothers and sisters here making it all possible and having fun every step of the way! This is what makes WKC the Weber authority. You won't get this anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

bob hope

• WKC Ranger
The reward at the end of the rainbow
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »
Outstanding Gentlemen!! We are living the dream. Great times, Great Grills and Great friends!
Because Here we are Friends. Here we are Brothers.
A family in the name of Weber.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »
I'm overwhelmed with work and other obligations (some due to the 3-hours of driving I invested in getting this thing home), so I am champing at the bit to get a better look at this Performer and see what she needs.  I've parked it right outside the kitchen window so I can perv at it whenever necessary, but I'm working toward a day when I can bust out some tools and get to work.  In the meantime, a few photos:

detail of some damage (shotgun?): 

Homemade aluminum ash can bracket, courtesy of the former owner.  Solid and substantial and long-lasting. 

Out of focus vent (that's an 'EO' = 1995).

Some lid damage-- the edge of the lid has a few substantial scrapes, too.

"Squirrel damage", according to the former owner.

Newish grates, but those coal baskets are rusted pretty thin.

By the looks of the (undistorted) bottom grate, I'm guessing the burner hasn't been working for a long time.

All in all, not too bad for a hunnert.  The frame has some scratches and scrapes, but I might do a Gummi-esque 'best-of resto' with my black 2003 Performer. 
One of the charcoal people.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Interestng to see that someone made their own ash bucket bracket out of a pc of aluminum..
Doesn't look horrible. You definitely have a small project on your hands.. Should be fine when its all said and done.. 8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 05:39:30 PM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »

I was looking at using Gummi's modeling & doing aluminium also.....less degradation / rust, dissipates heat quick, easier to work with re: tooling ( just that it's hard on the tools ), looks cool when you're laying down on your back under the cooker.....etc.
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
That's a nice specimen you got there mike! I'm glad it went to a good home. I was wondering why the original ashabar has so many bends. The one you posted up is much simpler. Maybe it was a decision for airflow?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
I agree, pbe.  This ash ring bar is tighter, higher, and more solid than the stock ones I've seen.  My best guess about all of the bends is that they give the stock ash ring bar a bit more flexibility-- I'm thinking it took some serious muscle to get this very stiff bar to bend to allow it to insert its tabs into the ring.  I might find out for myself in the next few days.  ;-)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
I think the original design is about holding the ash ring tight and yet allowing the sweeper to move freely. I doubt that hand made one is doing much for the sweeper.  Just a guess.. When Weber started making these, they didn;t consider the rust out due to the acid in food passing over it.
I wonder if the originals had any coating on them?  It hey had been made out of SS, there would be a lot more grills still around. Oh, and Weber would have sold a lot less too..  8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »
I agree, pbe.  This ash ring bar is tighter, higher, and more solid than the stock ones I've seen.  My best guess about all of the bends is that they give the stock ash ring bar a bit more flexibility-- I'm thinking it took some serious muscle to get this very stiff bar to bend to allow it to insert its tabs into the ring.  I might find out for myself in the next few days.  ;-)

Hi Mike, I added some thoughts about the ash bar to my DIY thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/diy-old-style-one-touch-gold-ash-catcher-bar/I hope you don't mind i reshared your pic.

Here's a tip for you: Bend the ash catcher collar by squeezing it from an "O" into an "0". The bar will pop right out I bet.

I think the original design is about holding the ash ring tight and yet allowing the sweeper to move freely. I doubt that hand made one is doing much for the sweeper.  Just a guess.. When Weber started making these, they didn;t consider the rust out due to the acid in food passing over it.
I wonder if the originals had any coating on them?  It hey had been made out of SS, there would be a lot more grills still around. Oh, and Weber would have sold a lot less too..  8)

AJ, the bar doesnt look coated. The original one has perfect clearance to the ash sweeper handle. The extra bends were probably no sweat for Weber.  You also get less vertical deflection for the same load with the beam at an angle.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 11:33:43 AM »
AJ, you are right (as usual).  I just came in from a decent once-over of the grill in question, and -- as you suggested-- that bracket is not conducive to full functioning of the ash sweep.  It allows the vents to move from full open to full closed, but it does NOT allow the fins to move enough to sweep the ash out of the bowl.  I'm not yet sure if this is due to the shape of the bracket, or to its thickness, or both.

Sorry for the false lead. 

Guess I need to decide if I want to find/buy/make an ash bracket, or just switch this thing over to a modern ash can.  Even when they're working right, those brackets are pretty floppy/droopy... 

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »
Where does it hit that the sweeper only moves 1" or so? I think its more that the sweepers inside may be hanging on something. Given the range of motion for the handle, I can't see it hitting anywhere as the bends are all near the outer edge.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
I know, Mike, it doesn't make sense to me either.  With the bracket removed, the sweep has a full range of motion.  But with the bracket in place, it only has a limited length of travel.  It seems like it should work, but it doesn't.  It must be related to the thickness of the aftermarket bracket or something.  Or the fact that the aftermarket bracket has a slight curve to it that isn't apparent in the photo I posted. 

The good news is that the burner is working perfectly.  I cleaned it out, hooked up a fresh tank, patched the wires back together temporarily, and it fires off a big blue flame. Sweet. 

Now I just gotta get two stubborn bolts to turn loose and I'll be on to cleaning this thing. 

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
Good luck with the stubborn bolst. Which ones are they? You may have to use some power tools.
The bolts on the burner tube bracket are the worst. Then its the bracket tha holds the lid bale.
The 2 screws on the lid bale should come off easily.
Personally, I would install the newer ash bucket assembly and one touch. It will cost more up front, but it will last for a very long time.
Do we know who has the cheapest parts yet? Maybe Weber will have free shipping for Fathers Day?
  8)