Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cheap find, but need help with parts  (Read 15046 times)

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
Cheap find, but need help with parts
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
Happened to refresh my CL search page this afternoon and saw an ad for a 26" Weber is decent condition. Left a message and the guy called me back. From his description, it was either a mash up of parts or he really wasn't selling a 26". Anyway, he wanted $25 for the grill so I told him I'd take it to hold it for me. This is what I picked up...

IMAG0642 by mikeinctown, on Flickr

Now for the bad... I need:
Thermometer
two front casters and plastic inserts
the lid holder thing on the side.
The basket thing on the bottom needs help as the metal bracket is bent. Apparently the basket on the older ones don't clip into the leg slots. The ash thing is rusted and cannot be taken apart at this moment. (hoping some heat and rust buster loosens things up a bit)
The propane tank, regulator, and hose is missing, though the ignition button and wires are there.

Does anyone know if Weber still sells parts for these? If not, what would be a good place to find said parts, or are they available from other sources in non Weber branding?

I can post more pics of the needed stuff tomorrow as light was fading and my girlfriend was on her way over. Needed to get it put away and hidden. lol

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cheap find, but need help with parts
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
e-replacement parts.com should help with most of that.

Ken
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
nice score mike 8)
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 07:14:11 PM »
Wow $25 is a steal.  You might have to put twice that on new parts, but still a deal.   Nice score.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:14:55 PM »
That is a beautiful find!  25 bucks is pretty dang good - even with all the work it needs.
Good news - thermo, front casters, lid bale, & ash sweepers are all easy/fairly cheap parts still available. 
Bad news - tank/regulator/hose will cost you some bucks to get back to OEM

Use this link to gain info about your new treasure.  :)
http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?all=1&model=821001
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 07:36:24 PM »
Thanks for the link to the schematic with part numbers and also for the ereplacement website suggestion! Found a few things showing as not available, but the few things I really want or need won't cost me very much.

Questions, the part showing as #22 is really bent up on mine. If I order the new ash catcher ring #25, does it just clip in to the leg sockets, eliminating the need for this part? I ask because it shows no longer available.  Also, would the regulator assembly be the part that clips into the burner assembly with the retaining clip? And will this fit a standard propane tank? (like the ones you can pick up at any propane exchange place?) Or will it only fit the small propane tank? I really like the new style assembly that uses camping grill tanks, but I am not sure one could be adapted. I noticed the damper for the lid is loose. Is this something a rap with a hammer and punch can fix, or do you just order a new one?

All in all, I just need to get it cleaned out so that I can take it apart and give it a good cleaning and reassembly and a few new parts. Love the blue color and can't wait to get some use out of it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
I can help with the handles....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »
Can you post a photo of #22?  That bar is suppose to be bent to hold the ash ring in place.  You might be lucky and it's fine the way it is.  If you need a new one, they're no longer available.  If you have a bench vise & some tools/ability, a new one shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.  There's a link buried here on the process.  Or, you could retrofit a new style ash ring & sweeper assembly.  Hose clamps around the leg sockets/retainer ring is the simplest way.

The issue with using the newer regulator & disposable propane tank is mounting it.  The old style is straight down while the new one is turned 90 degrees.  Since the hose & all is missing, maybe you could mount a new regulator on/off valve to the old location and use the adaptor hose to run off a 20lb tank.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »
There is a thread with a regulated retro. Buckie will post,  he always finds the old threads.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 08:53:21 PM »
Mike, I have all the engineering drawings and sheet metal template from this ash catcher bar thread:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/diy-old-style-one-touch-gold-ash-catcher-bar/msg31366/#msg31366

I can post them for you tomorrow should you decide to make it.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
There is a thread with a regulated retro. Buckie will post,  he always finds the old threads.

AHhhhhh....Ahhhhh................Oweeee.....Ouch.......gas assist.....you've got me by the Achilles Heel...... :o

"regulated retro".....meaning from what to which?
Just describe this a bit more.............then maybe I can find it

Mike, I have all the engineering drawings and sheet metal template from this ash catcher bar thread:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/diy-old-style-one-touch-gold-ash-catcher-bar/msg31366/#msg31366

Go ahead if you have a minute....the Brownie MasterTouch is in somewhat worse shape than I 1st thought....needs this, most likely.....TNX !!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:45:48 PM »

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

These threads are both good:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/'95-performer-gas-assist-troubles/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/gas-assist-added-to-mesa-azul/

On Mesa Azul you can see the knob is 90 degrees to the tank threads
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 03:10:35 AM »

That is the part I'm talking about. The old one is rusted and bent and won't hold the ash catcher ring up to the bottom of the kettle. If I could get the ash sweeper assembly apart I may be able to bend it up and reassemble.

Can you post a photo of #22?  That bar is suppose to be bent to hold the ash ring in place.  You might be lucky and it's fine the way it is.  If you need a new one, they're no longer available.  If you have a bench vise & some tools/ability, a new one shouldn't be too hard to fabricate.  There's a link buried here on the process.  Or, you could retrofit a new style ash ring & sweeper assembly.  Hose clamps around the leg sockets/retainer ring is the simplest way.

The issue with using the newer regulator & disposable propane tank is mounting it.  The old style is straight down while the new one is turned 90 degrees.  Since the hose & all is missing, maybe you could mount a new regulator on/off valve to the old location and use the adaptor hose to run off a 20lb tank.

I'm not sure why I'd need hose clamps. It is my understanding that there are tabs on the new one which snap into the little slot in the back of the legs where they are welded onto the bowl. The slot isn't very large but it is about 3/8 to 1/2" wide. I'll have to give Weber a call today and inquire about the new style fitting the old grill. If it will then I may be able to just take my sawzall and remove the old rusted stuff and rebuild the sweeper and catcher.

I've found a ton of sources for a regulator and hose for a 1lb propane tank but I think the trick is going to be finding one with the correct end to insert and clip into the burner tube. Likewise, I've also found a ton of regulators and hoses for a 20lb tank but the same challenge will still be there. Since I may wind up throwing this in the back of my truck for picnics and whatnot I'd rather have the smaller 1lb tank. 

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 03:33:57 AM »
re: the need for hose clamps:  The challenge with retrofitting a modern ash can ring on the older grills is that back in the day, Weber paid no attention to the orientation of the tabs on the leg sockets.  Now, they make sure there is a space to insert those tabs that you're talking about, but back then, they were oriented in  a random fashion.  You might be lucky enough to have your leg sockets oriented properly, but that's highly unlikely.  So one of the mods people use to affix a modern ash can ring is to bend the tabs *back* 180 degrees, then use a hose clamp to wrap around the whole leg socket and attach the new ash can ring. 

re:  getting the old stuff off:  it'll be tough to fit a sawzall into that tight space.  An easier approach is to cut off the round metal ash sweep handle that goes through the large nut to allow the large nut to push up through the bowl.  pbe gummi has a great recent thread where he details this with many photos. 
One of the charcoal people.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 04:33:16 AM »

AHhhhhh....Ahhhhh................Oweeee.....Ouch.......gas assist.....you've got me by the Achilles Heel...... :o

"regulated retro".....meaning from what to which?
Just describe this a bit more.............then maybe I can find it

Go ahead if you have a minute....the Brownie MasterTouch is in somewhat worse shape than I 1st thought....needs this, most likely.....TNX !!

PBE was on it, here is the one with the links on where to purchase the parts.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/performer-regulator-question/msg18705/#msg18705