Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow n sear high elevation... Ideas?  (Read 1070 times)

klang812

• Happy Cooker
Slow n sear high elevation... Ideas?
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
Hey all!! I live in a high desert environment. 4k' elevation. I have done a few cooks on my slow n sear, chicken thighs (cold grate method), ribs, and most recently brisket. I have 22.5 performer, use Kingsford blue, and added boiling water to pan, as directed. What I am finding is the coals tend to work pretty hard and burn very quickly, and water pan dissipates in about 2 to 3 hours. I light with Weber starter cubes and approx 12 briquettes. I have talked directly to the owner of ABC BBQ on phone, very good service btw. Anyone have similar issues or have some advise... Thank you in advance!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Slow n sear high elevation... Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 02:06:32 AM »
I am in Michigan, sorry I don't have that issue or any recommendation
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

FTTH

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 06:12:15 AM »
I can’t help from experience because I live at sea level in a humid environment, but it makes sense that you’ll need more coal to maintain the same temp. Evaporation is definitely an issue due to your climate and elevation. I’d only suggest keeping the lid on as long as possible and seal up any leaks. Use a remote therm if you don’t already. I have ABCs easy spin grate and with that I can remove the hinge portion and pile in quite a bit more coal into the SNS. You also might consider starting with more lit coals and mixing in lump to ramp up the temp. I doubt you’ll hear better advice from me than Dave though.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Iv cooked out there a few times and never had too much trouble grilling, but never tried low & slo.

My suggestion would be to run it dry with no water. IMO with the high evaporation rate coupled with the steam, forces the fire to guzzle water vapor. A lot of energy from the fire is being used to heat water vapor instead of meat. Its also why nobody puts water in their WSM pan, but they cover it in foil instead. 

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

phillyc0wb0y

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
Iv cooked out there a few times and never had too much trouble grilling, but never tried low & slo.

My suggestion would be to run it dry with no water. IMO with the high evaporation rate coupled with the steam, forces the fire to guzzle water vapor. A lot of energy from the fire is being used to heat water vapor instead of meat. Its also why nobody puts water in their WSM pan, but they cover it in foil instead.

+1 on ditching the water in the pan.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
Agree with Hell Fire & Philly.  I only use water (SnS or WSM) when I'm trying to stay in the 225º range since water water boils at 212º.  At your altitude, though water boils near 200º and that may contribute to what you're seeing.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:07:52 AM »
Agree with Hell Fire & Philly.  I only use water (SnS or WSM) when I'm trying to stay in the 225º range since water water boils at 212º.  At your altitude, though water boils near 200º and that may contribute to what you're seeing.

BD

I'd mentioned this as well. @klang812 do you have any new experiences to provide?

klang812

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
No experience yet without water but curious how that will be if I am trying to go low n slow. It seems the water is key in the barrier needed when trying to smoke...

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:53:57 PM »
For anything over 275F don't use any water. Being in high elevation means you'll always have lower temp compare to sea level because you have less oxygen feeding your coals. For low n slow, you shouldn't have any problem maintaining a a temperature between 230F -260F by adding water in the SnS. You just have to adjust the opening of the lid and bowl damper. Both must be partially open. When it comes to to high temperature cooking, don't add any water. Both dampers should be fully open to achieve the highest temperature you're after. Being in high elevation you'll probably need to crack the lid slightly open for temperature above 500F at the lid thermometer.