Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brian's wood handles for the Stainless Steel SS Performer  (Read 8179 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Brian's wood handles for the Stainless Steel SS Performer
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
Hi Ladies, I've gotten a few questions about the wooden handles for my stainless steel Performer from my recent builds. They are made by Brian (zavod44) out of Walnut and sealed to last a long time. They are way better than the original because of the denser wood and durable stain.

Here are some pics which don't do them justice.

For more information, you can click the WOODEN HANDLE link at the top or see the original thread here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/oh-aj-i-found-that-your-outfit-for-that-ugly-xmus-sweater-party/msg11115/#msg11115
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Brian's wood handles for the Stainless Steel SS Performer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
Those are real purty! 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
Your post says the handles are made of walnut, but I thought Brian used oak. In the photo they tend to look like oak, but with a piece that sized the grain can be deceiving. Does he offer different woods or different stains? I know he offers unfinished. How did yours come?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
Hi cbpeck, Brian would be best to answer but I'll give it a stab.

I have a set of Oak handles unfinished from over a year ago and they look different than these (but I am not an expert on wood). I bought these handles finished directly from Brian.

In this pic from this thread: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/oh-aj-i-found-that-your-outfit-for-that-ugly-xmus-sweater-party/msg11115/#msg11115 you can see the unfinished Oak and Walnut side by side. My piece is the rightmost darker one second from the top.

Brian has made handles in other woods before such as Koa from MartyG:

We're talkin' wood handles, courtesy of Brian. These are Hawaiian Koa. They're real, and they're spectacular! And just try taking a shot like the top one on today's performer! (Now, I gotta clean that vent, but it's a cooker and I'm using it tonight.)

Getting started with the clean-up, still have the ash pan and grates to work on. The lid and bowl were spotless to begin with, so not much elbow grease required there. Added three Hawaiian KOA wood handles from Brian to this beast, and they are right at home. My first cook better include Pineapple! More to come, and outdoor pics when I get it home to PA.

The top handle in this photo might have fallen off a red MT somewhere near Chicago. Probably not. More likely from your average black curb-side throw-out. Whatever the case, the bottom handle serves as a good reminder that the B-man has mad skills in the woodshop, and might have scored some more of that Koa. Like Brian, whenever I'm packin' Koa, I just have to whip it out.

My performer will need a grass skirt cover now:

Hogsy's Koa

I think the timber ones will fit

Or at least Brian's will

Eucalyptus from Troy

Brian hooked me up with these gorgeous handles today, and I put them on my new to me 26 that I also picked up today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Your post says the handles are made of walnut, but I thought Brian used oak. In the photo they tend to look like oak, but with a piece that sized the grain can be deceiving. Does he offer different woods or different stains? I know he offers unfinished. How did yours come?

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »
I do make handles from other kinds of wood.  I generally have a stock of walnut and oak on hand.  Oak is so hard and it will last forever.  When people buy handles they will normally get oak.  Sometimes I run out of oak and then you get upgraded to walnut or maple.  I will do custom work but the buyer needs to pay for the wood.  Some people have send me wood to cut, that's how Marty got the Koa, he provided the wood.  Ken Mc has got quite a few different kinds of wood be he has paid a premium.  If you have something in mind feel free to contact me and we can talk.  I am very flexible....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
Some people have send me wood to cut, ...
I hope the oak and American Elm I dropped off is useful. I need to trim some limbs from a black walnut. I'll send you pix when I do and you can let me know if you want it. Only the center is dark and I do not know how big that will be until I cut it.
kettles, smokers...

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:36:32 PM »
I pretty much used all the oak, and the elm has come in handy.  I have been cutting them to see what it's like.  I made you a few sets of the elm.  The black walnut wasn't black but it cut really nice....I got you three sets...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
Those handles look extremely nice!

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »
My contribution to the post.  I really like the way the light oak works with the blue kettle.  Great quality and money well spent:

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »

What form or size piece do you start with?
I can send you some various interesting woods to use, for free, but would need to know in what form you would like it........

Also need to get some various sets, mostly two rivet, now I'm practicing "Safe Lid hanging"

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 08:08:49 PM »
buckie send me a PM and we can discuss....

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
Hey Winz, my Oak handles looks just like that too. Thanks for posting yours to compare

My contribution to the post.  I really like the way the light oak works with the blue kettle.  Great quality and money well spent:

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:04:20 AM »
I do make handles from other kinds of wood.  I generally have a stock of walnut and oak on hand.  Oak is so hard and it will last forever.  When people buy handles they will normally get oak.  Sometimes I run out of oak and then you get upgraded to walnut or maple.  I will do custom work but the buyer needs to pay for the wood.  Some people have send me wood to cut, that's how Marty got the Koa, he provided the wood.  Ken Mc has got quite a few different kinds of wood be he has paid a premium.  If you have something in mind feel free to contact me and we can talk.  I am very flexible....

And worth EVERY penny Brian !!!!
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
looking forward to the arrival of MY CUSTOM HANDLES from brian
wait till you see theses beauties and what they are being used for
im sure many will get as excited as i will when they arrive and get installed
love ya work brain brian
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Brian's wood handles for the Stainless Steel SS Performer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »
Brian's handles are the best - I have some work ahead to clean up some kettles (and a WSM) before I put these to use.