Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Occasionally I Will Clean My Grates  (Read 1324 times)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Occasionally I Will Clean My Grates
« on: January 28, 2018, 12:45:57 PM »
IMG_8711.jpg" border="0
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Occasionally I Will Clean My Grates
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 06:31:48 PM »
Mac I occasionally will use a weed burner to do a couple things with my grates. But not all the time because extreme high heat and/or thermal shock can (not "will" but "can") cause warpage if its over done.

If I want to recondition a rusty grate, in a rush, I'll use the weed burner to heat it, slow & even, to help loosen any scaly rust. Then it can be brushed clean enough to begin a new seasoning process. The weed burner works great for loosening build-up from sugary sauces like teriyaki or KC style sauces.

A quick sanitization is another good use for the weed burner, it'll heat up a strange grill in a few minutes and with proper oil/heat combo added during the process you'll end up with a nearly perfectly seasoned grill grate in minutes. Might not be non-stick but your burger wont taste like iron, that and expecting a working grill grate to be perfectly non stick 100% is crazy.

IMO the trick is too heat the grate slow & even, without getting it red hot, or holding the weed burner in one spot to long.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 05:34:02 AM »

Excellent advice, HFG.  Thank you!

I did this yesterday.  The grate was from a cook-up Sunday January 21st. 
I had bacon wrapped chicken thighs on there.  BBQ sauce was also applied …. As you can see, quite a mess.
Using the weed burner, most of the gunk will catch on fire and burn-off on its own.

I then gave it a quick scrape, spray with vegetable oil and it's almost as good as new.
It doesn't get done very often, but in this case, it needed it.  :D 8)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:55 AM »