Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calling Jumbo Joe steak cookers.... a little help please  (Read 1878 times)

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
Calling Jumbo Joe steak cookers.... a little help please
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:41:34 AM »
I like to cook ribeye, roughly 1 inch thick, fast and furious (aka direct) on the JJ. I use 3/4 of a normal size chimney of lump dumped on 1 half of the JJ. The results are okay but I'd like to reduce the amount of charcoal to get better control over the fire without compromising that 'flame grilled' taste. I like a medium/rare.

What amount of charcoal do you use for your steak cooks on a JJ? Does anyone have a rule of thumb? How long are you cooking steak per side?

Really looking to expand my knowledge and cooking armoury. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Calling Jumbo Joe steak cookers.... a little help please
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:32 AM »
Step 1 = S’nS charcoal basket. This will give you way more heat with more control and more room for indirect reverse sear time. All with less charcoal.

Step 2 = Good cut of steak ! Nice and thick, good fat marbling.. bla bla bla
Step 3 / Bonus = JJ has no cook grate tabs, this makes it easy to turn the grate when doing cold grate searing.
I hope this helps ;-)
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 01:43:43 AM »
SnS here I come. Thanks for the advice Matt. David.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 02:28:01 AM »
The regular Weber basket does well in the JJ. Hot and fast or slow and low I use the Weber basket.  May be an issue for larger steaks or multiple.   I love my SNS on the 22”.   I may have to consider the SNS basket for the JJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:12:09 AM »
Good point @nolch01 ! I have 3 sets of Weber baskets but I’m so brain dead that I never thought to try that.
I know the baskets would not fit in my SJ and maybe I thought the same for the JJ ?

This is what I ended up with :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:30:15 AM »
Maybe try a reverse sear with two grills? Do one indirect to 110-115 then have the JJ ready to go ripping hot for searing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:03:59 AM »
Maybe try a reverse sear with two grills? Do one indirect to 110-115 then have the JJ ready to go ripping hot for searing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:42:57 PM »
That little kettle is a great steak cooker and very easy to modify for cooking steaks. I have mine set up for contest cooking.

I use this Stainless Steel basket for holding my charcoal...it is the same size as my Grill Grates and holds the right amount of charcoal and the basket raises the fire right up to the bottom of the cooking grids.

You can see how this setup works with the Grill Grates right over the charcoal basket. I like to warm them up to about 650 degrees for my steak cooking.

This is a nice ribeye about done on the Jumbo Joe. To get medium rare and with the nice diamond grilling marks, I would cook it for 2-1/2 minutes, turn it it slightly for the nice grill marks and cook an additional 2-1/2 minutes, the turn it over and do the back side the same way but for only 2 minutes a stage. Total time about 9 minutes on the cooker.

That should give you one beautiful steak...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 11:02:35 PM by Old Dave »

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:20 AM »
We don't have SnS baskets in Australia [emoji852]

IndianBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
That little kettle is a great steak cooker and very easy to modify for cooking steaks. I have mine set up for contest cooking.

I use this Stainless Steel basket for holding my charcoal...it is the same size as my Grill Grates and holds the right amount of charcoal and the basket raises the fire right up to the bottom of the cooking grids.

You can see how this setup works with the Grill Grates right over the charcoal basket. I like to warm them up to about 650 degrees for my steak cooking.

This is a nice ribeye about done on the Jumbo Joe. To get medium rare and with the nice diamond grilling marks, I would cook it for 2-1/2 minutes, turn it it slightly for the nice grill marks and cook an additional 2-1/2 minutes, the turn it over and do the back side the same way but for only 2 minutes a stage. Total time about 9 minutes on the cooker.

That should give you one beautiful steak...
What size grill grates are those?

Sent from my SM-G7202 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Each purchase of a weber grill is a very special and rare occasion for me as they are rare to come by around here.

IndianBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 09:45:15 PM »
We don't have SnS baskets in Australia [emoji852]
I think it should be easy to get a metal fabricator to build one on order. I got mine done from a metal shop. For half the prize. (In India).

Sent from my SM-G7202 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Each purchase of a weber grill is a very special and rare occasion for me as they are rare to come by around here.

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 02:43:08 AM »
A big thank you to all you grillfellas (I’m especially looking at you @olddave) for helping me out! Some great knowledge shared plus a source of inspiration. I now have several ways to get my steak right! Wife and kidneys will be happy [emoji39] (and I will be left alone to commune with my kettles and cider). Thx.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 10:09:14 AM »
Mr IndianBBQ,

The grill grates are 15" long.