Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BBQ Dragon Shelf - Pics and questions answered  (Read 3571 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
BBQ Dragon Shelf - Pics and questions answered
« on: January 11, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »
Let me preface this by saying I don't have any affiliation with BBQ Dragon and the shelf is the only product I have from them.  I've had a few folks ask me if I like the shelf and if it causes a gap with the lid.  The answer is Yes - I think it's great and No, the gap is so small it doesn't affect anything. 

Here's the shelf from the top.  It just clips on and is very sturdy.

Here's the gap - about 2mm.  The size of the gap will likely be depend on manufacturing tolerances and the roundness of your kettle.  I think the folding supports that contact the lower bowl can be slightly bent, if needed, to make it more flush if you want.  I didn't bother to do that on mine as the gap is so small.  I suppose if you're super concerned with the gap, you could close the bottom vent a hair to compensate.  To me, I just don't think it's necessary.  The kettles are not air tight to begin with.

After your cook, you just remove it and store it in the kettle.  Easy Peasy.  It also has 3 utility hooks to hang tongs, brush, etc.

I like the shelf so much on my old 1991 Red Kettle that I'm thinking about selling my other Weber, which is a Performer Model with a stainless steel table (SSP).  I find it's just so much easier to move the Red Kettle around than to wheel around the big Performer.
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: BBQ Dragon Shelf - Pics and questions answered
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
Very cool!  I've been looking at those but had a few questions.  You've answered them.  Thanks!

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
I love mine as well!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 02:06:39 PM »

Here’s mine on my 22OTG. love it

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:22:29 PM »
@Grillagin hooked me up with one for Secret Santa.  I am very impressed.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Marbob1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »
I have one and love it.

Tionoel

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »
I'm getting one for my 26"

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »
I'm glad you like yours, @LightningBoldtz. I was impressed with the one I got for you, so I got one for myself.  The company recommends that it be placed over one of the legs for stability.  I tried to do that on my LE red, but the bowl handle and lid bale parts are in the way.

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 08:43:46 PM »
I'm getting one for my 26"

I don't think they make one for a 26".  If so, let us know.  I just tried their site, but it is down.  I got my shelf through Target.com

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 02:16:14 AM »
Yeah the 26 is a larger radius. It won’t fit and I don’t think they make one for it..
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:18:14 AM »
I have most of their products and the shelf and the Dragon Blower are great.. the chimney.. eeah the weber is bigger and built better..

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »
The company recommends that it be placed over one of the legs for stability.  I tried to do that on my LE red, but the bowl handle and lid bale parts are in the way.

I did see they recommend placing it over one the legs, but the lid bale on mine gets in the way also.  However, unless you are putting some serious weight on it to cause a balance problem, it won't be an issue.  Maybe a 16lb brisket on the shelf might make it a little unstable?  Of course, you could get another shelf for the other side to balance it out.  ;D

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »
I have a portable folding table in my cooking area... works well and LOTS of room with no gimmicks or problems. Cheap too...
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

duff645

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
I would love to get one for my 18”.   I emailed them over the holidays inquiring with regards to this possibility. But no acknowledgement at all.  And I have the chimney and dragon too!

Anyone using the DWing on a 18”??
ad fumant, condimentum in, ut serviant

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
Would make a great place to rest your peel
centered with the opening on a KettlePizza.
Let you peek under the crust with a little more stability.