Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer port/probe  (Read 1957 times)

Mr. Rays hair weave

• Happy Cooker
Thermometer port/probe
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:28:58 AM »
Got a Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker for Christmas.   I’m confused about the thermometer  port.   There is little to nothing about it in the manual. You’re supposed to put a thermometer probe in one of the two holes.  I assume that means a meat thermometer, because the unit already has an “oven” thermometer.

I would appreciated recommendations on a reliable, accurate, easy-to-use, and reasonably-priced  product.

Is “wireless” the way to go? (Reviews I see indicate that they don’t work so good, unless you pay over $100.)  I assume that the advantage to wireless is that you can put the probe in the meat before you put the meat in the smoker, and you don’t even use the port.  Is that how it works?

Finally,  is one of these even necessary?  As opposed to, say, if the recipe says four hours, start checking the temperature after three, using a conventional meat thermometer.  (And I do realize you’re supposed to minimize the number of times you lift the top. But I cooked a brisket yesterday, lifted the top a number of times, and it didn’t seem to affect the temperature much.)

Thanks for any advice.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Thermometer port/probe
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:47:28 AM »
It’s all personal preference. Some people like to have a probe at grate level and one in the meat for accuracy. Some check with an instant read on occasion once they have a good idea of how there cooker runs and are not concerned with oven temp.

For me, it strictly depends on what I’m cooking. Some foods demand more precision than others. I will use a thermometer when I feel precision is important.

I’ll let others make recommendations on thermometers because I don’t use them often and my advice and experience would be marginal.

I will say that checking the built in thermometer against a digital thermometer is important and using thermometers for meat and oven temp when learning a new cooker is important.  Once familiar with a cooker, you have a little more freedom on when to use or not to use thermos.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:59:20 AM by HoosierKettle »

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
Re: Thermometer port/probe
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »
Amazingribs.com has tested and reviewed many different kinds. After reading through their article I went with the maverick et 732

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Text @ 419-619-6379

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thermometer port/probe
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
Many (Most?) feel that the dome thermometer is not accurate, plus you can only see it when you standing next to it.  I just checked and you can get the 732 online from Wally World for $35 with no sales tax and free shipping.

I, obviously, know that you cook thinks like Butts & Briskets without an IT probe . . . I cooked thousands of butts (18,000 lbs./year) when I helped run the school BBQ fundraiser.  But I wouldn't think of doing for the  one or two I cook at a time now.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna