Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restoring 2 Redheads  (Read 4162 times)

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
Restoring 2 Redheads
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »
Got rid of my Genesis last year, and my wife misses having a gasser. So I searched on Craigslist and was able to find a Genesis 3000 for cheap. Firebox had a whole, so I found a donee grill. The donor grill was so nice, I decided to restore both!

Here are the donor grills:

Didn’t like the Ralph’s logo and needed a firebox, so I got hooked up by @Stocksaf with a bunch of Genesis parts, including a clean non logo lid for a great deal.

Broke everything apart and took it all to have it powder coated. Sprayed inside the frames with rustoleum after the powder coat. Then, started to assemble everything with high heat plastic washers and stainless steel hardware. Added stainless axles:

Painted the end caps with 3 coats of Rustoleum high heat ultra, and used more stainless hardware:

Ordered all stainless flavorizer bars, grates, and z bars for the shelves from RCPlaneBuyer, and all wood handles and slats from @zavod44. More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: Restoring 2 Redheads
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:17:49 AM »
Wow looks great so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »
Wow looks great so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Thanks!

Got both fire boxes sand blasted and then degreased and put outside to dry:

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »
What happened to the logo lid :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »
What happened to the logo lid :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Still have it if you want it. There was a little paint missing near the handle, but it’s mostly covered by the end caps. I may have an extra set of end caps too, but here is the logo lid after I cleaned it. If you want just the lid, I’ll give it to you, just pay shipping.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 06:32:49 AM »
Looking great!! Doing mine in the spring!!!

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 06:35:14 AM »
Also looking for a Blue Platinum Series lid if anyone has one to trade or sell, i have 2 Platinum Series Hoods, and 1 regular hood, all in Red..

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »
What size is the stainless hardware fir the end caps?

Kettle Karl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:03:29 AM »
What size is the stainless hardware fir the end caps?
I believe they are 1/4”-20 x 1/2”, but can confirm. With any fastener I add, I use a flat washer and a lock washer under the nut, so I also had some 1/4”-20 x 5/8” that were a better fit with the added length needed, but let me know if you want me to confirm this.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 10:08:47 AM »
That's ok, i will grab a few and check, and thank's for your help..

HarleyGriller

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
Very nice! Im interested in purchasing some wooden slats and handle for my Genny 3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 02:23:26 PM »
WOW
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »
Here's a question.  After speaking to a Weber Alliance dealer they say the new gassers are junk compared to the old versions.  I wonder if they re-released these if they would sell.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
Here's a question.  After speaking to a Weber Alliance dealer they say the new gassers are junk compared to the old versions.  I wonder if they re-released these if they would sell.
I have a vintage Genesis at home, and use a new Genesis at work. There is no comparison; the old one is better by far.
Would they sell? Probably not. Those of us that care already have one or more.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:03 AM »
A brand new Genesis isn’t good? In what way?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch