Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Someone got that Red SSP on FB from Cherry Valley (Rockford area)  (Read 1882 times)

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
Pic is from listing.

I stumbled upon the listing yesterday, just a couple hours after he listed it.  He contacted me when he got home from work.  Said he had about 10 contacts about it before contacting me.  It was at his work & I said SURE I CAN pick it up first thing this morning in Machesney Park (where he works). 

Spent over 3.5 hours driving there & back today because the grill looked like it might be in really good shape when I downloaded the pic & enlarged it, there appeared to be lots of interest in it, and I got the impression that if I did NOT say I would get it in the morning, he would contact others & see who could get there first.

When I got there, he said that it was weird, but he now had around 20 people that contacted him about it.  He pointed out that a nut was missing from one end of the bale thingie that holds the lid, where the bale attached to the bowl.  ANYONE KNOW OFFHAND WHAT SIZE NUTS THOSE ARE?

While I didn't turn it upside down (yet), everything appeared to be in great shape.  The inside had old coals & plenty of buildup.  Around the vent had lots of buildup (I'll have to clean it to see what the code is), some grime on the SS table.  Frame looked like it was in great shape.  Didn't see any dings in lid or bowl (yet).  Some grime on the side of bowl under the bale thing (looks like grime from lid got on it while bale held it). 

Allegedly it was the business owner's.  The guy said he'd been there 2 years and never seen it used, just sat in the warehouse.  Also mentioned the owner lived in an aircraft hanger.  Upon a very quick inspection, it appears as if it may have been kept inside for most (if not all) of it's life (other than when it was being used). 

Along with the missing nut for holding one end of the bale (again anyone know the size offhand?), I noticed one of the plastic inserts is missing from one of the open sides of the square tube.  I thought I noticed one of the other inserts was tan replacement? (instead of black original?), but I could be wrong.

Neither of us could tell if the ignition works (so I tried to get a bit).  He said, he'd be willing to, but claimed the owner insisted on his price (& he mentioned the numerous contacts again).  He also mentioned that the owner remembers it being expensive when he bought it (allegedly for around $400). 

He did say that if the push button ignition didn't work, I could contact him & he would then make a price adjustment.  Hopefully, I don't need to find out if that is true.  (No, I wouldn't drive out there, I would just ask him send me a check or paypal or something). 

The cooking grate has those flip up sides for retrieving sausages or whatever that somehow manage to leap through any larger opening that may be near the handles. 
It also came with a pair of wire coal baskets. 
In the bin was a small partial bag of charcoal (I also noticed a pair of pliers & a screwdriver when I peaked in). 
There was a grill brush on the bottom (probably not a Weber). 
Naturally, there was half used coals within the kettle along with a fine collection of ash.

I probably won't get home from work until long after dark, but will try taking some "before" pics later (probably over the weekend).  I'm guessing any "after" pics might wait until spring because it's cold here & I'm not about to try dragging it inside to clean (maybe the lid if I get ambitious). 

Again, does anyone know offhand what size the nuts are that attach the bale to the bowl are?

[attachment deleted by admin]
regards,
Hal

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
Re: Someone got that Red SSP on FB from Cherry Valley (Rockford area)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »
Super nice score there Hal!! 

I believe 1/4 x 20 would be the size of the nut. 

www.ereplacementparts.com may have what you need.  Search on WEBER and locate a Master Touch or Lid Bale assembly.  It should show an exploded parts list.  I think they are all the same size.

Good Luck and NICE RED SSP!!!!

Congrats!!
Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
agree, 1/4 20 should be the nut size. May as well plan on replacing all the hardware with Stainless Steel anyway. Might have to replace the tank as it looks like a non-OPD style. Or just use lighter cubes. Looks like a fine cooker to me. have fun with the Restore!
Retired

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the info on the nut size. 
I assumed parts lists won't give nut sizes & it's usually easier & cheaper to just buy them at Menards/HomeDepot/Lowes, plus I should be able to get SS there for less. 

I'll have to look up what OPD means, but was thinking about looking into if I could just use a regular full size tank for a regular gas grill that I have sitting around because the one on the SSPis smaller & I figured a full sized tank would last longer & probably be less expensive to have filled in the long run. 
regards,
Hal

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
OPD = Overfill Protection Device. Your tank is older, (the new ones have a triangular style valve knob) and you will have issues getting it refilled. A 20lb tank will work fine - many here have made the switch. A new 5lb tank would run maybe $50.00, so unless you want the original look, I say covert to 20lb or use Weber cubes.

FYI - I did an informal side by side test using 2 full chimneys on NYE; one with gas assist, and one with two cubes. The two cube chimney was much faster to ash-over. I may do a more scientific test to know for sure, but I'm slowly moving toward an all-cube world. Even with one cube I'm impressed.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:32:29 AM by 56MPG »
Retired

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »
agree, 1/4 20 should be the nut size. May as well plan on replacing all the hardware with Stainless Steel anyway.

1/4 x 20 is correct.  While you're at it, be sure to change nut and bolt that hold the center support for the lid bale.  That nut on the inside lower portion of the bowl is often rusted bad and you'll have to drill it out or at least fight with it to get it loose.  It's a lot fun.
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 01:18:32 PM »
Thanks.
I'll check & see if they are (hopefully) the same size & try making a list of what I'll want to pick up in stainless. 
regards,
Hal

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
Nice score!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Himey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 07:12:18 PM »
I messaged the guy and said I could be there Friday and never heard back from him.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »
Nice pickup!
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 08:35:05 PM »
I noticed one of the plastic inserts is missing from one of the open sides of the square tube.  I thought I noticed one of the other inserts was tan replacement? (instead of black original?), but I could be wrong.

I think the SSP all came with gray inserts on the kettle end and black on the handle end. Not sure why, maybe the gray has a higher melting point?

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 11:17:16 PM »
agree, 1/4 20 should be the nut size. May as well plan on replacing all the hardware with Stainless Steel anyway.

1/4 x 20 is correct.  While you're at it, be sure to change nut and bolt that hold the center support for the lid bale.  That nut on the inside lower portion of the bowl is often rusted bad and you'll have to drill it out or at least fight with it to get it loose.  It's a lot fun.

Changing that fastener out is not fun. It is a danger to life and porcelain. Very good advice.

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
My first impression was that he wanted it gone as fast as possible, but he had to deal with it because his boss assigned him the task. 

Later, I wondered if it was something that was already supposed to be gone already because he wanted me to get there early, before his boss came in.  Said something about his boss didn't like seeing strangers at the building, which seemed a bit of an odd concern if his boss told him to sell it. 

Alternatively, I thought maybe his boss gave it to him & he didn't want his boss to know he turned around & sold it.  Especially since he claimed his boss wouldn't budge on price when I offered him a bit less because we couldn't tell if the ignition worked, but said he'd be able to to work something out if turns out the ignition doesn't work.

I messaged the guy and said I could be there Friday and never heard back from him.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 02:01:59 PM »
Thanks, I'll look again.  Was a bit disappointed by how easily the front tiny wheels fall out when I pulled it out of my truck & AGAIN as I gently lifted that end up for a small maneuver. 

I'll have to find a parts diagram & see if something is missing or glue it/throw a screw through it or whatever.  (Just not the duct tape fix you see on the "friction fit" legs of many kettles)

I noticed one of the plastic inserts is missing from one of the open sides of the square tube.  I thought I noticed one of the other inserts was tan replacement? (instead of black original?), but I could be wrong.

I think the SSP all came with gray inserts on the kettle end and black on the handle end. Not sure why, maybe the gray has a higher melting point?
regards,
Hal

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »
Just realized I think I might also be missing those little hooks for the tools that fit on the frame, unless they are sitting loose in the charcoal bin.
regards,
Hal