Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: paint choice for redhead touch up?  (Read 4814 times)

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
paint choice for redhead touch up?
« on: May 11, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »
Does this look like a good paint choice for touching up a redhead?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CP8ASW/ref=aw_d_img_back_automotive?qid=1368335394&sr=8-1

kaz

• WKC Brave
Re: paint choice for redhead touch up?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:47:29 AM »
I used that flameproof satin red, then a clear coat on top.

It's supposed to be good to 1900 degrees. Well. No. It turned black and looks like shit!

I'm so glad I only did the bowl and around the leg sockets and only parts that were previously missing porcelain. I'm glad I didn't just spray a large area with this garbage.

Maybe it'd be ok on the lid at temps below 500 but it's not a great match and I wouldn't recommend it to others. I'll try and get some pics up later.

More research on high temp porcelain touch up paint is required. Wasn't there a company but they only had limited colors?

What did Harry Soo use on that bad ass coal flamed wsm?

Whatever flameproof my ass, it's overpriced junk.
#grubdubs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:13:39 AM »

VHT  or Rustoleum extra hi-temp works just fine,even covering the whole kettle.....

You do have to set the paint in an ascending fashion, meaning: up to a lower heat (200), then cool. up to a higher heat ( say, 500), then cool, then fairly high......
If you go straight for the jugular, it may very well discolor or ripple or go soft.....

Anything you run into that's extra hi-heat AND a ceramic coating should work fine, just go in stages.......

CBPeck......I'd get a better description of that stuff 1st.....it has the word "plastic" in the name, don't mean it's wrong, I'd just check out the manufacturer's specs before you buy......

PS:
Remembered that somebody put up some links to other choices, also......can't find where that info is..................a Valspar product was one & maybe others....

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:25:51 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
This is what I used with poor results.

I did as buckie says. Not the jugular method. As well as letting it cure 2 weeks between coats. Took me almost 2 months. And still after about 6-8 cooks it turned black. YMMV.
#grubdubs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 05:49:16 AM »

that's strange that it didn't work Ok, KAZ.......something to be cautious about in the future, I suppose.....

I have some painting to do soon, so will report back what problems / successes I have.....

Did you happen to use hi-heat primer, or no?

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 07:04:34 AM »
No I didn't use the hi heat primer. I just scuffed the chipped spots with some 80 grit and did 3 coats of red and 2 coats of clear satin. Waiting a week or 2 weeks between each coat. Then at the end doing the warm, cool, medium heat, cool break in.
#grubdubs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 07:13:29 AM »

I've had best results doing a setting of each layer ( took the longest).....did one where I set after two coats of color, then again after two coats of clear.................kind of a pain & takes longer, but seems to have worked on the things I've done so far.....

kaz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »
Shoot, I thought the VHT just turned black look like it fell off or something. Stuff is garbage. I'm gonna have to ospho this and just use BBQ black or something to just stabilize it from further corrosion. What garbage that flameproof paint is!

#grubdubs

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »
Shoot, I thought the VHT just turned black look like it fell off or something. Stuff is garbage. I'm gonna have to ospho this and just use BBQ black or something to just stabilize it from further corrosion. What garbage that flameproof paint is!

KAZ....I was noodling around at Smoke Ring & saw this:

"As far as the 1000° paint holding up on the firebox your paint job will only be as good as your prep work. If the cooker is not blasted clean and you paint over rust or mill scale then the paint will fail. "
   ~~> K. A. M.

This guy builds large pits from the ground up & won't take no for an answer on quality & longevity questions.......I'm thinking it may have to have the rust somehow removed before the paint will take well.......

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
swamprb has touched up a bunch of red heads and they look good.  I am not sure how much cooking he does with those.

azknowles

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 04:38:06 PM »
Hey guys, not sure how these products compare to ones offered on amazon/rustoleum or anything, but just thought I'd share this website I stumbled on with this thread. It's called http://www.mytouchuppaint.com/cooking-appliances/barbecue-grills/weber -- hope this helps!