Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cleaning Grates  (Read 4954 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Cleaning Grates
« on: December 24, 2017, 05:43:19 AM »
Does anyone have any good tips or products for cleaning grates?

I mean cleaning outside of the normal “brushing.”

I find that brushing works well for grates exposed to a high temp, but wonder if there is a good way to clean my grates following a WSM cook?

I’ve tried vinegar and baking soda, but doing it in a double-lined trash bag is...not very desirable. Even being careful, I sometimes have bags with micro-punctures that leak over time.

I’ve tried simple green and have heard oven cleaner works well, but haven’t tried that yet. I wonder about having to “clean the cleaner” off before cooking...as a health concern.

Any good soaking containers other than trash bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Re: Cleaning Grates
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 05:56:43 AM »
I always completely clean my WSM grates after use since the heat is not high enough to carbonized the fat. I first put the grates in my gasser and crank it up. I then brush them down to get all the large bits off. Afterwards I just use my sink to clean them down with soap and water. I use this brush from Home Depot that I bought about a dozen of when they were on sale for $1:
https://homedepot.app.link/1H2wN9UK8I

The thing is though, the WSM grates are 18”. I basically follow a similar process with my Kettle grates outside using a bucket with soap and water about once a month.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 06:19:29 AM »
   I clean my grates after every cook and all I use is soapy water and a sanding sponge. When I get well used cook grates I use oven cleaner, then spray off the gunk, razor off in the hard to reach spots, then wash in soapy water and sanding sponge.
   For rusty charcoal grates I  use evapo-rust then soapy water and sanding sponge. Thats what works for me.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 07:35:06 AM »
Does anyone have any good tips or products for cleaning grates?

I mean cleaning outside of the normal “brushing.”

When I actually feel like cleaning my grates, I hit them with a Harbor Freight weed burner. 
A few minutes is all it takes … Give a quick scrape, then spray some PAM on them, and they're ready to go.  YMMV   :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
Cleaning Grates
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
I cut about 5” off the bottom and top of a plastic barrel the same size as a 55 gal oil drum. Some types of barrels are rounded on the bottom and fatter in the middle .. straighter ones are better. The one I have is almost perfect for fitting a 22” grate in it.. could be .5-1” wider.
Also works great to clean 18” parts.
This set up I have is for when get a new (used) grill and I want to clean the gunk from the last owner from the grates.
Most of the time I just stoke up the coals and use my cedar grate scraper to clean between cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 12:38:14 PM by vwengguy »

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
never clean my grates after cooking.

during my next cook..i clean the grates by heat during the next fireup cook

use wood grate scraper.  ive never had a loose steel bristle incident but figured i stop using steel bristle brushes before i do.  know someone whom recently had a family member goto hospital bc loose bristle got swallowed
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 11:49:45 AM by toolhead »
Grills

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
I soak my Wsm grates in hot water and Dawn for a couple hours.
Then I scrub them with 3/0 steel wool and soap.
They almost look like new.
They definitely get taken care of a lot better than my grill grates do.
After cleaning I put then in the oven at 250°F for about a half an hour to completely dry them.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:43:18 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 04:06:58 PM »
SOS pads. I get the cheaper brand. Cool thing about a kettle is it all washes out the bottom. I have cleaned the whole inside of a kettle with them. Use a squirt bottle and the ash pot catches all.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 04:22:04 PM »
High heat.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 06:03:23 PM »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »
Sorry guys...I've been busy with well... the usual "holi-daze." Driving, family, driving, family, driving...me crazy. Finally, we made it home for looks to be a quiet New Year. Whew!

I love the water heater pan idea. Also the cut 55 gallon plastic drum is brilliant. I have actually done that before, so glad to know its the perfect size. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

I have to say though, I do love the concept of using the weed torch. My dad uses his weed burner to start his coals. I don't see why it wouldn't cook the grease and crud off of a grate. I'll snag one from Harbor Freight soon!

Thanks again everyone! Happy New Year!

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 07:58:30 PM by Mike in Roseville »

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 08:43:17 PM »
The first time your wife asks you how you clean the grates after barbecuing, respond "clean the grates?" with a blank look on your face.

Depending on your wife, they may wind up spic & span after every cook with little to no effort on your part.
regards,
Hal

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
I just use a wooden scraper after some high heat.

Just wondering, why make grates clean and shiny when they will just get dirty again?  I could maybe see keeping clean grates on a clean grill for a looker but for a cooker it seems like time wasted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 01:37:21 AM »
My WSMs get a good soapy water cheaning. My Kettles... scrape, brush, high heat.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.