Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1986 22" Red Kettle Restoration  (Read 2451 times)

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
1986 22" Red Kettle Restoration
« on: December 04, 2017, 12:27:55 PM »
I been lurking here for awhile and getting more into the kettles.  Today, I picked up a 1986 22" Redhead for Free off of CL.  It looks like it's been through a lot, but I want to restore it.  I've got a few questions.

1.  Bent Rim on Lid.  The lid does not appear to be out of round, but the rim edges are bent in in many places such that the lid does not sit and seal correctly on the bowl.  Am I just using pliers to carefully bent it back all the way around, or is there a better recommend method or tools to use?

2.  The Rust.  I was thinking about using a wire wheel with my dremel tool to remove the rust and the just spray PAM on the exposed metal.  Based on my reading here, I didn't find consensus on a recommended red high heat paint, or is there?  What would you do?

3.  The Wood Handles.  Of course, one of the side handles is missing the outer wood piece.  I am trying to keep costs down, so thinking about keeping the wood on the lid and using plastic on the sides.  Will the current plastic handles fit?

4.  The Lid Handle.  It's broken off and currently held on with wire (Nice).  I'm just reattaching this with SS nuts and bolts.  Right?

5.  Any other suggestions? 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:29:58 PM by RemoGaggi »
18" Middy & 26" Kettle, SnS, Summit S-620, Broilmaster D3CP

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: 1986 22" Red Kettle Restoration
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:47:51 PM »
Hello and welcome from FL.  Great decision to restore that caddywhompus redhead.  PM me your address, I have some old wood handles I can send you.  Warning: RRR’ing is addictive.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
I vote leave the war wounds . It shows its story !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
beautiful as is , gotta love that wire repair !

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
rim dents: i would try to bend them with your hands as best as possible ...place vertically on 2 adjacent 2 x4 s then push oit the dents into the 2x4 gap ..see if that yields your goal.

if not round out the end of a wood dowel..or scrap piece of narrow wood and then tap with hammer.

ive pished out many dents without tools...

be careful if using tools if there is paint there..as the paint will chip away....and the enamel chips are like razor glass sharp pieces.

use a dremel with fglass cutting wheel to cut out the rusted ash sweep and replace with 7444 ash sweep.

use channel lock pliers to bend back side handle

the topnhandle is a mess...

remove the topnhandle...drill or use whatever metal cutting toolnu can...then get ss fender washers..nuts and bolts and reattach... any gaps will seal up after severalngood cooks during seasoning process

congrats and ppst backnif you need more help...
Grills

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I took the legs off with the intention of putting them in the right place, just so I could roll it properly.  2 of the legs didn't want to come up, but some WD-40 and gentle pulling, they came out.  There is some damage at the welds for leg attachments and I could see the metal flexing when I was removing the legs.  It's not too bad, but I was careful not to put a hole in the bowl.  The fins on the ash sweep were completely gone and the the remaining lever and bolt? were totally rusted.  I hit the rusted nut with my propane torch for just a bit, wiggled the lever and the entire thing popped right off.  I washed the outside of the bowl with orange degreaser and began cleaning the inside of the bowl as well.  The inside of the bowl doesn't look too bad, but there is much more cleaning to be done.

I'm going to order the 7444 sweep, a new ash catcher, and upper grate.  The charcoal grate is salvageable!  I'm going to mess around with the lid and handle later maybe tomorrow if I have time.  Thanks again for the tips!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:27:28 PM »
Congrats on the find and great to see this one coming back to line.

As for your questions, you've gotten some good advice so far. I agree with @toolhead that you should try to avoid tools when working on the lid edge. Using pliers will just add creases and make things worse.

As for the rust, most of the time cleaning with #0000 steel wool will clean it right up. I'd try that before breaking out the dremel.

Looking forward to updates as you go. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »
Seriously, I have seen worse. That restore is going to be fun. Just be patient. If you have a welder you can weld the top handle back on. If not, yes get some larger washers (for under the lid), nuts and bolts and drill into the handle (carefully and not too large) and you can bolt the handle back on. For the lip, you can take a small hammer and hold the lid vertical on a block of wood and tap it back into shape. Wont be perfect, but really good. Just take your time. Good luck with the restore!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:07:19 PM by Vwbuggin64 »
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
Here's one of my restores on a beat up copper mist. I picked up the handle metal at Lowes.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97609396@N07/albums/72157666908702561

RemoGaggi

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Paul, nice work on the copper! That's awesome!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 05:23:18 AM »
Good job on the save, Paul.

Fondue handles on the vent tabs, perchance?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:05:52 AM »
I made a tool to fix the rim with, that works pretty good. Its a 1/2" square with a saw kerf from a hand saw. Work it out a little at a time, slowly, for best results. Use hard wood, soft will split.

Dont make any airborn dust without PPE...for the same reason they quit making red grills.

Personally I dont get carried away cleaning most of the grills I pick up because its all character to me. If you make it look new again all youll have is a boring new looking grill. You can get a wRecked Red Repop at Ace without searching.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »
Good job on the save, Paul.

Fondue handles on the vent tabs, perchance?

Yes. Find them at antique shops for $2-$4 for 8.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
1986 22" Red Kettle Restoration
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 07:57:52 AM »
I made a tool to fix the rim with, that works pretty good. Its a 1/2" square with a saw kerf from a hand saw. Work it out a little at a time, slowly, for best results. Use hard wood, soft will split.

THIS... is awesome. Great idea, HFG.

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"