Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bottom daisy wheels  (Read 1776 times)

Speedster

• WKC Ranger
Bottom daisy wheels
« on: November 28, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
Hi guys.
Is there any preference on the bottom air vents? Which is better?
Does it matter?

Small tab bottom air vents
Large tabs bottom air vents
Or sweepers?

Air distribution? Cook time? Or clean up? Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Webers rule

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Bottom daisy wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
I don’t care about a small tab or large tabs even though large tabs are easier to feel, but I definitely prefer daisy wheelers for low n slows over sweeps. Seems easier to regulate temps. I don’t use sweeps for the ash anyways. I just open them and brush the ash down with a paper towel so I don’t mess them up. Just my preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
Sweepers all the way. I got rid of all my daisy wheels. Yes, even the rare/colorful ones. I don't find the temperature control benefits (if any) to outweigh the giant pain in the ass of cleaning the ash.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:15:44 PM »
One Touch sweeps demand a clean bowl or there will be build up of concreted ash and grease that creates an air leak when the sweeps can't contact the bowl, or in the case of a Performer's gas tube, the sweeps will hit that tube. And the sweeps get in the way of your interior scraping job. And the first gen rusted, became discontinued, launching 1000 online threads for what to do about it.

I have one machine with daisy wheels. I can never remember which way to turn them to open or close. Get it wrong, and even if you don't, and the little stops will bend, or break off, and then the wheel will spin 360 and you're forced to crawl underneath and look to see if it's open or closed and by how much. Now, move around the kettle and repeat for the other two. And you'll have to scoop out ash, dump the whole thing upside down, or scrounge for rare Happy Cooker internal ash pans, or a hack thereof.

Grease got down there? That wheel will soon stick open or shut, whichever position you don't want. And the build up will cause an air leak as the wheel gets pushed away from the bowl. And you'll turn the wheel, as your hand innocently and slightly pulls down on the tab while turning, not meaning to, which will also cause the wheel to no longer seal against the bowl. Because no one wants to press their hand up against the hot bowl when closing the vents. If you can remember which way that is. As you crawl under and around the kettle on all sides.

Ask me again which method is "better."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
I go back and forth here. I think the temp control would be fine if the daisy wheels were in good working condition and tight to the bowl.  You can have issues with temp control with shitty daisy wheels or bent sweeps so they are about even in that regard. Plus 1 for sweeps because they can be easily replaced. I hear if you can find an internal ash pan from a Happy Cooker then you get the best of both worlds.  I’d actually like to find a Bar-B-Kettle with the user installed daisy wheels and cook on that for a while to really compare them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:22 AM »
I like ash sweeps the best for convenience, but I think you have better control with the daisy wheels.

Shenandoahsmoker

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:29:49 AM »
It depends on what I’m cooking. I’ll f I’m using indirect method with a tray smoking brisket, sausage...etc I prefer daisy wheels. Direct with or without vortex I like to use a sweep.

I like to keep the kettles clean so I usually clean after cool down and use a drywall soft bristle brush to help with ash removal. Just my anal retentive tendencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 08:13:27 AM »
Daisy vents are better in terms of setting air flow especially when doing long low temperature cooks. Closing two vents and working with one vent can slow the burn. But they are a pain in ass to work with as you have to kneel down and look up to see them and adjust, and the tabs are hot. An advantage is they seal off air from the outside of the grill the way a vent should.  The one touch is easier to adjust but they seal off air from the inside and I think because of this you end up with crap between the sweepers and the grill and this allows air to enter. It is  tradeoff. It is hard to find a daisy vent kettle today without rusted sockets. My guess is that since weber no longer offers us a daisy vent grill the one touch is preferred by most people. If you want precision temperature control buy a WSM. If your grilling with high heat on the kettle it does not matter.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Sweeps 4 me. Daisies suck. JMHO. Keep your kettle clean and you won't have an issue with buildup and the sweep.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.