Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rare find or wishful thinking  (Read 1744 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Re: Rare find or wishful thinking
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
I think for long cooks I prefer my Happy Cooker over my 22 inch Masters Touch. For some reason it seems to keep temperature more evenly over the length of the cook. I used to use heavy duty tin foil on the bottom of the Weber to control where air flows, but the internal ash pan of the Happy cooker seems to do that by fluke of design. So long cooks using the snake method come to temp and are very stable. The down side is the ease of the one touch system of the Weber is lost to the fact you have to manually lift out the ash pan and pour the ash into a bag.
Now even though I like that, there are many improvements to the Weber I miss while using the HC, such as the Bale lid holder, built in thermometer, One touch clean up and such.
I think designing a internal ash catcher for the Weber would overcome those problems. Who knows, I may even get rich.

Anyway, if it is a Happy Cooker, congratulations you have not only a great cooker, but a piece of history that is getting rarer all the time. Clean it up and be proud a lot of guys would kill to have one in the Remuda.

You are on the money about airflow and long slow cooks with the internal ash pan.

I'm using one under my Hunsaker Vortex firebasket on my SSP/WSM setup. With it it mimics the same as my Hunsaker drums because they thrive on very little intake.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 06:13:25 AM »
Thank you all for all the input. Cooked up some sausage the other day and it is a keeper. nice tight fit all around. Does anybody have a picture of the internal ash pan?
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
Thanks for all your input. Need to see a picture of the internal ash pan
Weber Genesis 1000 Black with all red oak, 1992 Redhead Performer.  2014 18.5 black. 1985 Black GA

Looking for P code Red Premium Master touch and a EO code Blue Premium Master touch .

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 06:38:00 AM »
I have some pics however my ash pan is in a very bad shape (but you have at least an idea how it looks)

jacko1962

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 06:53:07 AM »
@qrczak1,That is a Happy cooker? I see it has the brackets to hold the grates. Mine does not. The pan has hole all around for airflow? May try to make one. The bottom of the pan is somewhat founded to fit the contour? Thanks

qrczak1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 06:54:43 AM »
No, it's Sears economy. The pan is indeed fitting the bowl.