Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The beauty of covered barbecue  (Read 1107 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
The beauty of covered barbecue
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
Don’t neglect the direct. Olive oil, kickn chicken. Grilled direct and rotated every 10 minutes or so. 45 minutes total to an internal of 180’s. Keeps the grill clean without a drip pan as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: The beauty of covered barbecue
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
Love thighs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:42 PM »
My fav too!  Looks good!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:24 PM »
I do neglect the direct, and wouldn't have guessed that 45 minutes of it, even with flipping, wouldn't have burned them. I'll give it a whirl next time!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
I’ll admit I only do direct for burgers and dogs if we are having that. I need to try direct more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49:57 PM »
The trick is I close the lower vent to 1/4 - 1/2. The top stays open. Between that and the lid on and the moisture of the meat, it will not burn as long as they are rotated and turned every 10 minutes or so. There’s always a hot spot that develops that you will rotate in and out of. The pay off is a different flavor than a mostly indirect cook. I utilize both methods but generally prefer the results of a direct cook.  If your coals are really roaring before you put the meat on, snuff them for a minute to prevent an initial unwanted char.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
Direct grilling isn’t replaced by a simple sear at the beginning or end of an indirect cook. They are separate and different things.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 04:25:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I prefer the taste of direct cooked chicken but usually end up with more char/burnt pieces than I'd like. I'll have to try your suggestions!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 04:27:52 AM »
I love the direct it makes me feel more involved in my cook
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill