Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Grilling in the cold and maintaining temps  (Read 3048 times)

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
Re: Grilling in the cold and maintaining temps
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
I did ribs recently and temps outside hovered between 30-40.  I didnt have trouble maintaining cooking temps, but I went through at least twice as much charcoal (KBB) as I have in the past.  I chalked it up to the colder weather.  i was anticipating having trouble keeping the cooking temp constant/hot enough but that really didnt seem to be an issue at all. 
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
I really don’t know how my charcoal would have gotten wet. I mean we did get a ton of rain this weekend, enough where it flooded Main St, but I’m two miles from there and didn’t experience and flash flooding. My charcoal is in the shed, but I leave the bag open, always have.

I now have three bags of the Weber briqs. I guess I won’t be so stingy with them despite being $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:07 AM »
My charcoal is in the shed, but I leave the bag open, always have.

Weber Kettle Club

There's your problem right there.  Charcoal is a moisture magnet.  Roll the top down real tight from now on.  The Weber bags are resealable. 8)
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »
... The Weber bags are resealable. 8)

yes and so are some other ones

Love my Kingsford Kaddy! It's one of my critical grilling accessories.

I don't place the bag in it though, as some pictures will show. I just dump the charcoal into it. One large bag = full container. You wind up with charcoal dust at the bottom in this way, but I don't care.

It's easy to tilt and pour into the chimney, and mine has never leaked even a drop, when left outside.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »

... The Weber bags are resealable. 8)

yes and so are some other ones

Love my Kingsford Kaddy! It's one of my critical grilling accessories.

I don't place the bag in it though, as some pictures will show. I just dump the charcoal into it. One large bag = full container. You wind up with charcoal dust at the bottom in this way, but I don't care.

It's easy to tilt and pour into the chimney, and mine has never leaked even a drop, when left outside.

+1 for the kingsford kaddy. I’ve been planning on adding one so I can store 2 different coal types in the grilling area or one for smoke wood.

Weber bags are suppose to be able to reseal but I haven’t been able to crack the code. It’s straight forward zip loc type deal but I’m not smart enough to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
The only time this has ever happened to me was damp charcoal....

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
the OP post could be due to an endless variety of factors.

was chimney fully lit before dumpong coals.
age of charcoal....
current humidity...
did the meat leak juice out and dampen the lot coals.
after dumping lit coals...was the kettle then allowed to preheat for 15-20 mins

the avoid the meat leaking juice onto coals and dampening the lit coals...inusually try to indirect cook first..so raw meat will juice out without hitting coals...then going into direct sear post initial juice leak stage

Grills

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »
I cooked more brats tonight. Used the same coal, plus some leftover from two days ago. I everything cooked normal. I got 450 directly over the coals and 275 indirect. I still think those temps are lower than normal, but I was only using 1/4 chimney (plus the old stuff) or so.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Grilling in the cold and maintaining temps
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 02:24:54 PM »
I cooked more brats tonight. Used the same coal, plus some leftover from two days ago. I everything cooked normal. I got 450 directly over the coals and 275 indirect. I still think those temps are lower than normal, but I was only using 1/4 chimney (plus the old stuff) or so.

Oh my gosh!  1/4 chimney?  Your are a tight wad with coal. I reuse the unlit coal too but I’ve never cooked with anything less than a half chimney of new added. Usually about 2/3 of a chimney. I think we found the problem. Especially if outside temps are low.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 02:29:52 PM »
Lol yes Hoosierkettle he is a tight wad with a lot of things but it makes him very resourceful too.

Still think the coal is damp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2017, 02:41:07 PM »

Oh my gosh!  1/4 chimney?  Your are a tight wad with coal. I reuse the unlit coal too but I’ve never cooked with anything less than a half chimney of new added. Usually about 2/3 of a chimney. I think we found the problem. Especially if outside temps are low.

Well, the other night was a full chimney of new. Tonight, was a 1/4 chimney new on top of 1/4 chimney old. I was only cooking 5 brats tonight.

But I do have my stingy tendencies [emoji23]