Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Top Round Steak  (Read 1091 times)

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
Top Round Steak
« on: November 20, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
I think cuts from the round are underappreciated.  The round becomes quite tough if overcooked or improperly sliced but when done right it can be reasonably tender and taste great.  Best part is they are really cheap making them great for the whole family (pro tip, best way to save money on premium cuts is to only buy them when you are home alone).  I picked up this 1.5 pound top-round steak for about $3. 

I usually score the round cuts to create more surface area to come in contact with the marinade for a little deeper tenderizing action.  Threw together a soy sauce based marinade with some rub from a container helpfully labeled "Beef Rub".  I made it about a month ago which means it's exact composition is lost to the depths of time and it can never be recreated.  All I can tell you is that it appears to be made of various herbs and spices. 

Let it sit in the marinade for a few hours but unfortunately it was starting to rain at cook time.  Yelling at the sky actually seemed to make the rain come down harder and set-off the neighbor's dog so I was forced to pull out the umbrella to get the charcoal going. 

Added a chunk of oak for a little smoke and tossed on some corn while going indirect for the beef.  My one year old had been grumpy all day but she found the sight of me standing out in the pouring rain hilarious for some reason.  It was the only time she smiled that day.

The corn was done by the time the beef hit 115 so it was time to hit with what was supposed to be a quick sear but was distracted by the ominous sight of shingles suddenly appearing in my yard, so it was cooked a little more than I usually like but it was still good.

Sliced it thin and served with cornbread and salad.  Even being a little overcooked it was tender and delicious.  The only downside was that my baby girl loved it and ate far more than I expected.  Will have to go with a larger piece next time.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Top Round Steak
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
looks good from here, my wife would say where is your green vegetable?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
Rain, shingles and "funny daddy." Does it get any better than that? (Rhetorical question, only).
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »
Sam's has them in a two-pack and they're always reasonably priced.  They are in the rotation for my weekend cooks for my parents & family.

You did a great job on that one ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 04:41:18 AM »
I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:29 AM »
good looking cook there @tmartin .
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;