Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide  (Read 1816 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide
« on: November 15, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »
Kid has a science project. He initially wanted to run an experiment to compare burn rates for regular 3% hydrogen peroxide and a stash of 30% hydrogen peroxide his grandmother has. I don't know where she got it but apparently it's not hard to find? I don't ask her such things. She finds chemicals that make the local pharmacists turn pale. Her husband mistook it last week for his moonshine. That was a bad night.

It grew late and we didn't raid her stash, and so I suggested instead 50% vs 91% isopropyl alcohol. We did try the 3% hydro.

It's probably worth noting we didn't eat any of this "cook." The medium used was a selection of cotton balls.

Here is the control, a dry cotton ball. Each burn was timed. About 2:40 for it, very low flame.

Each was soaked and in turn, transferred [using one of my damn tongs??] to a grill. Last thing I said was, "use that old black grill." That also was ignored. WTF.

The ball soaked in 3% hydrogen peroxide did not burn at all. (It was mostly water.)

The one with 50% isopropyl alcohol was very nice, and burning about a minute. But it went out and would not relight and stay lit. The speculation was that the alcohol burned off before the water could evaporate from the heat, leaving a water-soaked ball.

The 91% however, was awesome. This is my new chimney lighter! The flame was great, and stayed that way for nearly 10 minutes, then conveniently burned up the ball. All with what seemed like a really clean burn.

No grill was harmed in the making of this science experiment.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Isopropyl alcohol and hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »
Try methanol - (product Heet in the yellow bottle, not red). Preppers/survivalists use this in their little alcohol burning stoves made out of aluminum cans.

Another thing to try is soaking the cotton balls in melted petroleum jelly like the preppers/survivalists.

YouTube channels: GringoBBQ & RubiconFI

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »
Tannerite?
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:50:15 PM »
Tannerite?

Saving that for when I get a mint glen blue or a Custom.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:02 PM »
Still need a 22” yellow

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »
I keep an used pill bottle in my jeep that is full of cotton balls that were soaked in petroleum jelly. Hikers use it too to not only start fires but if they get a blister, just pop one of the infused cotton balls in your sock.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:29:19 PM »
Alcohol works great....burns off completely & burns real hot....

This is 198 Proof industrial isopropanol....

I've used that or the 91% for years.........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mick

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:14:49 AM »
marshmallows, yummy, no stick?

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:52:39 AM »
Hey Beakman, your steaks are going to taste great ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 02:55:36 PM »
Actually, skip the Heet in the yellow bottle. I just bought a new bottle the other day and it appears they have changed the formula. When you open the yellow bottle, the contents are no longer clear. The liquid is now yellow in color and smells like gasoline. You definitely want the older stuff and should check the MSDS if you are not sure. Me, I buy Torco or VP Racing Fuels methanol in 5 gallon barrels for my Jeep so that stuff is about as pure as you can get.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
Wow, cool experiment and useful tips from others as well. Now, where’s my cotton balls?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 03:29:21 PM »
Yeah I'd probably take Weber cubes when camping, because all you then need is the lighter. But at home I'd have more space to store the alcohol and cotton balls.

GoAnywhereJeep

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 03:54:36 PM »
Yeah I'd probably take Weber cubes when camping, because all you then need is the lighter. But at home I'd have more space to store the alcohol and cotton balls.

I prefer the Royal Oak Tumbleweeds when camping - and now all around - because they burn up completely. The Weber cubes and cotton balls leave a little black blob behind that should be brought back out of the camp spot with you in the garbage or perhaps burned in the campfire.

The other things i carry in the jeep to start fire are just plain cotton balls and plain (unscented) hand sanitizer.