Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Day Old Pork Shoulder  (Read 1675 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Day Old Pork Shoulder
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:43:03 AM »
While looking in the fridge on Sunday I noticed the sell by date on the pork shoulder and the pork chops I bought from Meijer.  They both were a "few days" past the sell by date which pissed me off because I realized the date on the package was the day I bought them.  No mark down, really Meijer?  Whatever.  We were trying to get everyone ready for family pictures at my wife's parents house and I had limited time to setup, get the meat on and out the door.  Used the SnS with Stubbs.  Filled up the SnS, lit 2 cubes in the corner and went inside to rub the shoulder.  Got the kettle going, threw on some pecan and let it burn for a few before putting the meat on.  Got the water pan set, meat on, shower, dressed and out the door.  Total time was probably an hour.  We left around 3 PM and got home around 8 PM.  Checked the setup and the SnS was burning hotter and faster than I wanted, no big deal, its shoulder, hard to screw up.  Stirred the coals and moved all the lit to one side, added a few more unlit and went back in to do kids baths and bedtime routine.  Used the Thermapen and at 9:20 it was 205 IT and the probe was going in like butter with every poke.  Pulled it off and let it rest and cool.  We both had a little snack before calling it a night, it turned out pretty damn good.  The wife wants me to do a few shoulders for New Years Eve with some sauerkraut.

Thanks for looking.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Day Old Pork Shoulder
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
Yep, that works, and if the store has older beef marked down I cook it that same day. A package of gray beef doesn't scare me; some people pay big dollars for "aged" beef.

Anyway ...

What I came here to say is that around here, pork shoulder is sold as a thin steak. Not sure how to cook that. My mother-in-law breaks her no-pork rule for shoulder sold at a dinky restaurant here. It's tough as hell and I don't know if she prefers the toughness or the seasonings they use.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
It didn't have any smell when I opened it so I figured we'd be fine.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:44:59 AM »
Yep, that works, and if the store has older beef marked down I cook it that same day. A package of gray beef doesn't scare me; some people pay big dollars for "aged" beef.

Anyway ...

What I came here to say is that around here, pork shoulder is sold as a thin steak. Not sure how to cook that. My mother-in-law breaks her no-pork rule for shoulder sold at a dinky restaurant here. It's tough as hell and I don't know if she prefers the toughness or the seasonings they use.
That really speaks highly of he sns’ system, Brandon. To be able to walk away from the kettle for hours and come back without it running away from you one way or the other.
Also, that bark looks incredible. I know you’re not a wrap guy and I am, but I may have to try your way again cause that looks good. Nice job.

Dave, Im sure you already know, but a pork shoulder is nothing more than a pork steak when sliced. I really like to do thinner steaks indirect for a couple hours. I learned that from irv39 when he was still active here. They break down nicely and get pretty darn tender.
The thick steaks I sear and slide until they reach the desired IT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
Great looking color. I really need to do a pork shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

Anyway ...

That really speaks highly of he sns’ system, Brandon. To be able to walk away from the kettle for hours and come back without it running away from you one way or the other.
Also, that bark looks incredible. I know you’re not a wrap guy and I am, but I may have to try your way again cause that looks good. Nice job.

Dave, Im sure you already know, but a pork shoulder is nothing more than a pork steak when sliced. I really like to do thinner steaks indirect for a couple hours. I learned that from irv39 when he was still active here. They break down nicely and get pretty darn tender.
The thick steaks I sear and slide until they reach the desired IT.

Thanks Travis. The SnS is really a great tool. I thought about a snake for this cook but it’s so easy to dump the briquettes, throw a cube in the corner and walk away.  Try skipping the wrap again brother. It’s my preferred way to go. Also, really dig how your collection has grown [emoji6]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:43 AM »
Great bark, looks juicy and tender. Very nice. I go back and forth on wrapping. I like  to go both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Stewart

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »
I haven’t wrapped and have had nothing but great results.. what would be the advantage of wrapping? Time saving? Tenderness?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
The shoulder looks excellent.  I'm glad you caught it in the fridge before it went too far past its expiration date and were able to still cook and enjoy it.  It sucks that the store didn't discount it though, given it was short dated when they sold it to you.

It didn't have any smell when I opened it so I figured we'd be fine.

I use the same litmus test when things go a day or two past due.  What absolutely drives me up the wall is when you're before the expiration date and you open a package of food up and the smell hits like a load of bricks.  Food going bad prematurely really ticks me off.  Having to throw it away, air out the kitchen, and scramble together some kind of plan B all of a sudden is really aggravating.

I've done this too.  The store I usually go to will sometimes steeply discount steaks or roasts the day before they come due.  I've changed dinner plans and pushed back cooking other food because inexpensive steaks were unexpectedly available.

JeanBrewer

• Happy Cooker
    • http://penessays.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:32:02 AM »
It looks great! How does it smell? I wonder  if any inexpensive steaks are unexpectedly available.