Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Got an SSP thats going to need some work  (Read 2291 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Got an SSP thats going to need some work
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 04:53:42 PM »
...  I've seen most kettles with a bale (bail?) have some sort of grommet for lack of a better term right near the outside of the kettle.  Guess I'll need to source those.  ...

I think there are 3 generations of thermoplastic lid bale rollers. The first ones are like ferrules, just rollers. Then came flanges like what qwesthunter shows in his pictures. For the last few years the protective flange has grown. Any of them will work.

I dont see those specifically on the diagram.  Think thats part of #63049, "Hardware for lid support"?

Yes you do, zoom in on the picture there, you will see it as part #20 and yes it's #63049.

And so when you Google "weber 63049" one of the hits will be another ereplacements page, https://www.ereplacementparts.com/hardware-for-lid-support-p-1477082.html

Note that what they're selling is a newer version of 63049 (which means Weber kept the same part number but upgraded/updated it to one of the newer, larger-flange types I mentioned earlier.) AND you get some fresh hardware to bolt it together.

If you're a stickler for originality ask here for the first design. Someone like me may trade with you. Or rest easy and just use the newer part, which will protect the bowl and the lid better.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1ROW

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 05:17:56 PM »
With how faded that lower bowl is, you could make this a weathered warrior performer! Find a free or nearly free faded kettle on craigslist and pair the lid from that with this performer. I think that would look pretty cool. I dig the weathereds, can't recall seeing one in a performer before.

Meathook

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 05:22:35 PM »
With how faded that lower bowl is, you could make this a weathered warrior performer! Find a free or nearly free faded kettle on craigslist and pair the lid from that with this performer. I think that would look pretty cool. I dig the weathereds, can't recall seeing one in a performer before.
I agree. you will find a used/weathered lid cheap. It will look original. Have you checked the date code on the lid?

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 08:05:54 AM »
I agree. you will find a used/weathered lid cheap. It will look original. Have you checked the date code on the lid?

90% sure its a P code.  I dig the weathered look as well....but something is kind of cool about the way this is half weathered!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!