Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey day menus  (Read 1440 times)

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Turkey day menus
« on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:09 AM »
What's everyone got going on for thanksgiving? I'm going to do a pork loin on the roti, and a smaller 10ish pound turkey on the wsm.

jd

• WKC Brave
Re: Turkey day menus
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
I plan to do a turkey breast on the roti, unless we get snow
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »
I’ll take smoked turkey to my moms and the wife’s parents house. It’s been a hit the last 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:51:58 AM »
Anybody else have to tread lightly on turkey day?  Did a smoked turkey breast last year which was a much bigger hit than grandma's turkey!  Now this year it seems more people are asking for a smoked bird and grandma got insulted.
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »
That's a bummer! Ah, the psychology of the family gathering does carry some expectations.

I keep seeing these frozen turkey breasts in the store that don't require thawing. They cook in a bag. Anyone ever do that? Would it be just like taking a regular frozen turkey breast and using your own normal cooking bag? Directions didn't seem exotic, 350 for a few hours etc.

Not sure yet what we'll do, and some family will be here for a week. But I can't get anyone to step forward and suggest anything, because as a rule they're generally anti-turkey, anti-pork, anti-ham, anti-"American holiday" food. Same thing during Christmas.

But the nacatamal is an annual occurrence, usually during New Years' that might happen earlier. It's an all-day, all-hand-on-deck assemblage that doesn't involve the grill however.

It's been too long since I did a brisket or two, so I suppose that'll work. Unsure if I should cut and cram in on the 18 WSM or lay flat on the 26er. I'd like to spin two chickens maybe on the rotisserie.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
@lksdrinker That is what happened the first time I did Turkey on the kettle.  We hosted and I had a bird in the oven and one on my buddies rotisserie (thanks @Schaefd2 ) and the kettle bird was a HUGE hit.  Since then I've been asked to either host a dinner or if we are going to the parents homes I'm asked to do a small bird on the kettle for some different flavor.

@addicted-to-smoke never seen the frozen breasts that you cook in the bag, couldn't speak to that.  As for the anti-American holiday food, bummer.  Maybe host it potluck style and have them bring or make what they want?  Then you can make and smoke whatever you want and everybody wins.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
I never seen the frozen breasts that you cook in the bag, couldn't speak to that....

A quick Google search told me they are offered by both Jenni-O and Butterball, with or without bone, whole or breast. So I guess it's "a thing," but I won't likely bother. I'm guessing the cooking bag both speeds up the cook and relegates you to whatever seasoning they provide. Not interested in that case.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 04:08:26 PM »

I am spinning a bird on the rotisserie. I hope to get a more reasonably sized bird this year though.  Last year I picked up my  "ordered in advance", suppose to be 18 lb fresh bird and all they had left was a 25 lber.   Didn't think the rotisserie would handle it as they are only rated to 20 lbs. It all turned out alright though.  Had a crap load of leftovers I sent everyone home with.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Bertman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 04:21:40 PM »
The turkey in the roti is what I’m working the family towards. Question : needing the juices fir graze has anyone successfully caught those juices in a pan while turkey was cook g in roti? I have a Cajun bandit and I live it. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »
Bertman, you could start the bird and after a while, pause the action, add a regular cook grate and a pan sitting on it. Just make sure you have enough clearance for the spinning bird.

Or do the whole thing with coals on the sides and a drip pan down in between.

Bertman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
Thank you addicted-to-smoke! If I have the space I’ll use the grate with pan on top. If I promise the drippings I think the boss will agree to let me roti the bird. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app