Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pepper Stout Beef: PSB 3  (Read 2267 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Pepper Stout Beef: PSB 3
« on: October 29, 2017, 01:48:44 PM »
More or less “standard” Pepper Stout Beef; I just followed a random recipe I found online, but I suppose they’re all very similar. I used only red bell peppers, no jalapeños.

I slow cooked just over 3.5lbs of chuck roast on my mini WSM for 3 hours --- very likely that machine's last cook for me. It was sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper. This is what it looked like seasoned. It just fell apart like that out of the package.

It's worth noting that larger middle piece needed to be pulled apart with forks. It was a little too tough to be pulled apart with the bear claws. Next time, I'll cut the pieces into smaller sections prior to slow cooking. That should both speed up the process and help ensure everything gets done evenly.

I moved it over to a 22er in order to better fit the pan, covered, for another 3 hours with the rest of the ingredients. At the last hour mark I added some small baking potatoes on the grate, squeezed in near the ends of the pan. Fuel was via 2 charcoal baskets running 1 chimney of briqs; food all in between them.

And on your plate …

Love this dish. Ridiculously easy to make, damn near fool proof, simple setup and ingredients, and yet takes some fairly boring beef to a new place each time. And everyone at the house really likes it. I've only made this about 3 times I think, but it's gonna be in regular rotation now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:41:27 AM by Troy »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: PSB 3
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 02:51:47 PM »
That looks great. I haven’t done pepper stout yet but it’s on the short list.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 04:46:36 PM »
Looks great!
Next time chuck roast is on sale...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 05:30:03 AM »
Nice!  PSB always satisfies.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Pepper Stout Beef: PSB 3
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 10:37:30 AM »

Love this dish. Ridiculously easy to make, damn near fool proof, simple setup and ingredients, and yet takes some fairly boring beef to a new place each time. And everyone at the house really likes it. I've only made this about 3 times I think, but it's gonna be in regular rotation now.

...this.  it is an awesome dish.....and yours looks fantastic @addicted-to-smoke . very nice.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Pat G

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 01:21:10 PM »
PSB is one of my go to's also.  Nicely done.
Performer Deluxe(Copper), 26 Kettle OTG, 22 Kettle OTG, Jumbo Joe, 18WSM, 14WSM, Genesis Gold B(Redhead), Q1200, Charcoal Go Anywhere, Gas Go Anywhere, Kettle Pizza & Vortex, Smoke

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 02:44:31 PM »
Awesomeness! ...love me some PSB...like you said...simple and easy but OH SO GOOOOD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KettleKing

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
Looks amazing nice job!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
Very nice. Only issue I ever have with it is the “stout” part. Sometimes I save them for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
This dish, I think, will take on a little more importance for me going forward. Especially if I play around with seasonings and veggies. One person doesn't eat pork. Or anything gluten. Another dislikes any fish (but she'll eat some salmon). Or turkey.

So ... we eat a lot of beef and chicken, both of which can get boring fast unless you find something that takes on a different flavor slant like this one does.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »
I just realized the stout's not gluten free.

"Oops."

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 04:36:42 PM »
My wife doesn’t like pepper

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
My wife doesn’t like pepper

Couple of thoughts here.

I will do Boston Butts primarily for me, sometimes, since pulled pork freezes well.

If you're at all inclined to make "a snack" for just you, it's worth doing this dish. Since it's a basically a meat-hash, it's easy to store/freeze and use anywhere you want meat added. My family used the leftovers in tacos and nachos, despite the flavor being completely wrong for that (not "Mexican" in the least.) It's more of use-it-with-bread thing if you ask me.

I don't recognize PSB as having any sort of normal sweet pepper flavor despite being smothered with them. And of course it's not hot unless you make it so. Maybe the beer takes over, or the other sauce action invades. Overall, it offers a beef dish that's not quite like I usually expect beef to taste like. If you make it and remove the peppers afterwards, I really don't think she'll "taste" them explicitly. But she'll know something's going on.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
Wow I appreciate that. Encouraging and I’ll look into trying it out soon.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:45 AM »
I've never had PSB before, or even heard of it. Chuck roast is on sale now at Aldi. It's a sign! I plan to make it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.