Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Broken leg socket weld  (Read 4579 times)

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
Re: Broken leg socket weld
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
I thought I would give all of you a follow-up on this. As advised by some the JB Weld did not work, it broke loose after a few days. I would not recommend this on a grill. I would not risk breaking off, melting or potential fumes. If you cannot get it welded properly drill a hole and use a bolt and nut. If I were doing this again I would look for a welding shop and asked for help first. Sadly, since my EE kettle was rusting at the sockets I decide to buy a new weber original kettle at HD and gave the old one away. I will miss the three vent daisy system but I will not miss all the years of the legs dropping off. The new kettle has push pin leg attachment but I wish it did not have a bolt on lid handle. it is still a nice grill and has been improved in the leg attachment design. I cannot detect anything like thinner metal or inferior finish, it is still weber quality and was steal at $89, but without a wood handle that is welded to the top it does not feel the same and it will take time to get accustomed to the difference.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 02:52:20 PM by BBQ Jack »

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
I thought I would give all of you a follow-up on this. As advised by some the JB Weld did not work, it broke loose after a few days. I would not recommend this on a grill. I would not risk breaking off, melting or potential fumes. If you cannot get it welded properly drill a hole and use a bolt and nut. If I were doing this again I would look for a welding shop and asked for help first. Sadly, since my EE kettle was rusting at the sockets I decide to buy a new weber original kettle at HD and gave the old one away. I will miss the three vent daisy system but I will not miss all the years of the legs dropping off. The new kettle has push pin leg attachment but I wish it did not have a bolt on lid handle. it is still a nice grill and has been improved in the leg attachment design. I cannot detect anything like thinner metal or inferior finish, it is still weber quality and was steal at $89, but without a wood handle that is welded to the top it does not feel the same and it will take time to get accustomed to the difference.

That's the beauty of CL. All of my grills are too old for warranty and all bought over the last 3 years.
Still need a 22” yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
It's possible the Extreme Heat version would have been better, right? Sockets take a lot of abuse from hot ash mixed with leg support and movement. Just look on the inside of most any old kettle and you'll see rust spots forming in the 3 spots where each factory weld is.

That said, there's really no better way to get going again, and without issue, than with a shiny new grill that's set to last you for decades to come! Nicely done.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 05:42:37 PM »
I would not recommend an epoxy of any type. The job that I did broke loose after I moved the grill, it was to brittle to hold perhaps or it did not attach to the porcelain finish. I never did light it up. It is the wrong product for leg sockets or for grill. There is no way except the right way and JB weld is the wrong way for this. I saved my hinged grate and my 304 SS charcoal baskets.