Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cooking Pizza on a 70's Black?  (Read 1512 times)

bear

• WKC Ranger
Cooking Pizza on a 70's Black?
« on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »
I'm in need of some advice:

I'm considering using a 70's Black exclusively for very high heat cooks, mostly pizzas, but I am concerned that such high heat may damage the porcelain.

I intend to keep the coals away from the edges to reduce the impact, but wanted to know about anyone else's experiences on this?

Any feedback is appreciated

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Cooking Pizza on a 70's Black?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 12:58:08 PM »
The porcelain enabled finish was cured at a much hotter temp that your charcoal can create, if that helps. Wood handles and such might be in danger, depending on circumstances.

On the other hand, cheap 90s-through-current black 22's are everywhere, of course.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
I would add to the above to say that charcoal baskets / slow 'n sear etc help preserve paint on bowls by keeping coals away from the bowl. It can make a difference.

Edit: typo fixed
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:29:06 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
Yeah...why not get a cheap newer black kettle if you're worried? I picked up a nice
DD 22" for $5.

Seriously though, I doubt you'll pop/craze porcelain on a black kettle.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 03:36:08 PM »
I agree. Fine ya a cheap one . My pizza cooker is free kettle I picked up awhile ago .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
Iwas also concerned that the daisy wheel kettles don't get hot enough versus the OT

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
Iwas also concerned that the daisy wheel kettles don't get hot enough versus the OT

I wouldn't know about that, except to say the total airflow area is similar enough to a One Touch's slots that your bigger challenge remains getting enough charcoal concentrated in such a way to put heat where needed. Hence, the KettlePizza attachment and so on.

KevinP

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
I have used a late 60’s patent pending black for about 5 or 6 Pizza cooks with a KettlePizza. I have not had any issues yet.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
If you do not need a screaming hot kettle for your pizza, I find the following a good method of doing pizza and calzones. My setup will run around 425-450 degrees and I think it does protect the kettle pretty well.

The setup I use for my hot lump coals.

I use a ceramic plate setter with my hearth stone on top and this makes a wonderful base for my pizza.

A nice size pizza going on my hearth setup in my Weber kettle.

First pizza done on the kettle and I usually follow up with a second pizza.

Second pizza done on cooker.

I followed my two pies with three calzones.

Calzones on the kettle.

Results of my Weber kettle bake.

Anyway, this works for me and I am happy with the results.

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 06:27:41 PM »
I like the idea of normal high heat and raising the height of the stone to use the natural top of the lid to reflect down.

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »
Thanks Dave