Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for Thermometer advice  (Read 1723 times)

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
Looking for Thermometer advice
« on: October 26, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »
Hey guys!  I am looking at finally getting me a nice thermometer.  I have an instant read now just looking at getting one to keep a monitor on temps when cooking low and slow.  I have been reading all kinds of reviews and now think I am more confused than ever lol.  Can you guys give me some advice on which leave in thermos I should look at?  Thanks all in advance

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Looking for Thermometer advice
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:27:01 PM »
I've been using Maverick (732 & 733) for several years with no real problems other than having to replace a few probes here and there. 

They are solid units.  But there lots of newer ones out there that may have more features.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:20:18 PM »
I've read nothing but good things about the Thermoworks Smoke. http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

The Maverick 732 and 733 cost less. They are "the standard" in dual probe setups because they've been available for so long. I have a 733 that I no longer use. It's miserable to program, but does work reliably over good distance if all you want to do is monitor temps by frequently looking at the receiver. I need to gather the pieces and sell it.

Stay away from all of the Bluetooth setups unless you like less battery time on your phone, being held captive by how good or how bad the phone app is, for the lifetime of the app/operating system and so on, and far less range and reliability. You can easily take a Maverick or a Smoke receiver over to the neighbor's house two doors down or so to chill or way back in the backyard and never lose the radio connection.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »
I got a Thermoworks Smoke for Fathers Day. I absolutely love it! Very accurate, nearly instantaneous updates and is very solid. I know you were looking at picking up a WSM. I use mine all the time in my WSM’s and have turned out excellent food. In fact, the Smoke has saved 2 of my cooks. One was a brisket that didn’t stall and cooked way faster than I had planned. That would have been a $50 mistake right there.

I can’t recommend the Smoke enough. They are excellent units.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
What ADS says is true.  I have never tried to program either the 732 or the 733.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:45:01 AM »
I went with the thermopro TP08 after reading many good review about it and because of the lifetime probe guarantee (Only unit with such a garantee).

This video demonstrate clearly how it works, very easy to setup :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0wxEYXCZQ

Slicer021

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 07:20:36 AM »
That Smoke does look solid and that Thermopro looks good as well lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
I had a thermopro. I compared it to an accurate Instant read. It was close to 20 degrees off.

I purchased the Thermoworks Smoke and love it. I’ve since added the Smoke gateway which allows internet viewing and graphing for later analysis. The probes are great quality and only about twelve bucks to replace. Their customer service is also top top top notch.

They ran promotions after I purchased my units and retroactively sent me a probe and another leave in Thermometer for free.

I rarely endorse a company because they’re never worth it to me. Thermoworks is different. They rock.

And on a personal/skeptical note. The thermapro seems to be a unit that is rebranded constantly. I feel as if they went with the thermapro name knowing people will be searching amazon for Thermoworks. It’s a tad deceptive in my opinion. They are not the same company and have nowhere near the same build quality. Thermoworks products are not available through amazon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:17:25 AM by PorkPatrol »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
^^ Worth re-reading ^^

The BBQ-thermometer world is fairly small compared to all the other uses for thermometers out there. Most are simple bimetal units because they are cheap. Digital thermometers ironically, have more mechanical challenges because of the probes. They also have a software challenge.

Mavericks have also been sold under different names. Mine has one port that always reads the wrong temp. I've switched probes (with the 733 they are identical) and that one port always reads differently.

If you visit the Thermowroks site, you quickly realize the cooking thermometers are a happy accident to their core business of scientific measurement.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 09:07:22 AM »

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

PorkPatrol

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »

^^ Worth re-reading ^^

The BBQ-thermometer world is fairly small compared to all the other uses for thermometers out there. Most are simple bimetal units because they are cheap. Digital thermometers ironically, have more mechanical challenges because of the probes. They also have a software challenge.

Mavericks have also been sold under different names. Mine has one port that always reads the wrong temp. I've switched probes (with the 733 they are identical) and that one port always reads differently.

If you visit the Thermowroks site, you quickly realize the cooking thermometers are a happy accident to their core business of scientific measurement.

Thanks! And you’re absolutely right...Thermoworks is a science and measurement company. Their thermometers are part and parcel to that. I have two friends who are chemists and they trust Thermoworks for their cooking needs

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »

1) Buy a wok no one can easily find.
2) Clip thermometer to it.

I love it! (I want it.)

And I mostly wish I could find EITHER of my oven grate thermometers tonight!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
I installed the fabled inaccurate lid thermometer on my wsm which has proven to be very accurate. Also an instant read. I did use my old maverick on my last cook. The lid thermometer was reading a few degrees COOLER.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:46:22 PM by HoosierKettle »

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »
So I have a maverick 732.  It is so hard to program and so I un user friendly
I have given up ..
  The Maverick is like the emperors new cloths. Everyone is afraid
To say it sucks.. it does. Let move on
 I use the grilleye . No drum roll? It’s gteat works flawlessly
Great iPhone app easy to use accurate can handle 6 probes
My 3cents
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!