Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ground Beef & Cabbage  (Read 1313 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Ground Beef & Cabbage
« on: October 20, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Our family does a basic ground beef-and-chopped/steamed-cabbage-served-over-rice thing. I think my wife adds a little yellow mustard at the table sometimes.

I got bored the other night. For some reason the grill encourages more/different/better? It should be obvious there are a zillion ways you can modify this so-called “recipe.” And so I did. Let’s see what you can do!

Prep:
Light a chimney of charcoal and dump into two charcoal baskets centered in the 22.5” kettle of your choice. Bottom vent partially closed. We aren’t wanting blazing heat, but we do want direct heat. Feel free to use your Vortex instead of char baskets, but invert it and place the coals inside. Just don’t load the bastage up with ‘em. Less is less. We aren’t wanting blazing heat.

I used a Dutch Oven but a frypan with high sides also works; you’ll need to cover the pot at the end to steam the cabbage.

My GBS grate handles the weight better than anything else I have, so that got the call. If you do likewise, retain the center section; we don’t want to place the dutch oven down into the coals. Again ... we aren’t wanting blazing heat on the bottom, but we do want direct heat. I actually used my “square” Camp Chef Dutch Oven.

—> The entire thing can be ready in an hour or less. <—

Start the rice: cook about 3-4 cups

Add some oil to the DO or fry pan … and brown 1 white onion, chopped or sliced up. Add sauce and stir some more.

Sauce:
1-2 TBSP Worcestershire
a healthy teaspoon of granulated garlic
some bbq rub
2 TBSP of of salsa

Next, cook 2lbs of 80/20 ground beef in the dutch oven or frypan. Don’t drain the fat.

Sprinkle 1 cabbage, chopped up, on top of the cooked ground beef
Drizzle (fo shizzle) 1/4 cup red wine vinegar on top of the cabbage
Cover the dutch oven or frypan

Close all vents, cover and snuff it out! Everything’s basically done, you’re just steaming the cabbage for a while, as the kettle is now a hot faux cambrio, you dig?.

Serve in 30-40 mins. Yellow mustard at the table is optional.

A note about the picture: This dish isn’t very photogenic. Let’s face it, it’s just ground beef and freakin’ cabbage. Also, the red wine vinegar gives the cabbage a pallid color and makes the beef appear undercooked!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Ground Beef & Cabbage
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:05:11 AM »
That’s interesting. I really like red wine vinegar so I’m sure I would like this dish. I’ll have to give it a try sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 06:33:16 AM »
I love cooked cabbage. Some red bell pepper could add some color, but I would happily eat it as is too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Ken/Washington

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:18:33 AM »
Pic makes my stomach Growling!! Be cooking this tonight!

Sent from my XT1585 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »
I’m not a chef and I don’t play one on TV but.. I think a good sized shot of curry powder or paste would kick the dish to another level . It’s just my idea.. but I like to eat :-) and it shows ;-)
Looks like something I’m going to try this week! Thanks for the idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:21:39 PM »
Yes you absolutely should make it however makes sense to you. I won't be adding as much red wine vinegar next time. My girl is rejecting the leftovers, which is new for her.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:46:01 AM »
Thanks Ken, I'll take a look at that!