Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A couple of restoration questions.  (Read 1094 times)

Talus

• Smokey Joe
A couple of restoration questions.
« on: October 11, 2017, 04:39:08 AM »
Hey everyone, I have a couple of questions regarding an older 22” original that I was given.  First, will current sweeps fit a “J” from’87?  Also, can an ash catcher be fitted to a kettle that originally came with a clip on catcher?   Lastly, can linseed oil restore a lid that has turned grey?   I put some linseed oil on the wooden handles and some got on the lid. I wiped it and it turned black.  Will this be permanent or it revert as the oil dries up?   Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
Re: A couple of restoration questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:55 AM »
First, will current sweeps fit a “J” from’87? 
Yes, the current sweeps will fit.

Also, can an ash catcher be fitted to a kettle that originally came with a clip on catcher?   
You can add the ash catcher but it will likely require some modification. Here are some methods, but you can search around for others.
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/03/converting-a-weber-ots-to-otg/

Lastly, can linseed oil restore a lid that has turned grey?   I put some linseed oil on the wooden handles and some got on the lid. I wiped it and it turned black.  Will this be permanent or it revert as the oil dries up?
I don't know anything about linseed oil, but a lot of people use Pam.  It's not permanent and will revert over time...
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:53:52 AM »
Right, the faded color is faded paint. Oil darkens it until the oil disappears. Reapply, or forget about it.

I'll include a vote for the hose clamp method.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:11:39 AM »
Here's another method of attachment for the ash bucket that I plan to try on my next project.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/it's-not-ez-being-red/

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Talus

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »
thanks everyone.

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
I think after time the faded look will grow on you .... I know that it has for me .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club