Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles  (Read 4724 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
I guess its common for these handles to get lost ?

The handles were finished in some kind of bright, almost orange finish or stain but not actually protected very well. And unlike with a grill that might get pulled back in a garage or under the eves when not used, these would get left outside.

I still think it's a neat product; you can walk into any home improvement store today and see fire pits for sale, but Weber's grill reliability didn't transfer over to their fire pit.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
You can get a new set here.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-fireplace-p-1475698.html
Let me know if you need some.  Mine will be much better than the lousy replacement ones Weber sells....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You are absolutely correct.  I picked up a set for a project and the bamboo handles that come with the set are pretty crappy.  I was more posting the link for the metal straps.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 04:49:34 PM »
On the left is what the original handles look like after they've sat outside for a few years (even under a Weber cover in AZ). The stain or whatever was just flaking off.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:37 AM »
What kind of/how much sand?  Do those who use it have trouble cleaning and separating it from the ashes when cleaning up after a fire?  Does anyone use a charcoal grate to set the logs on?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 08:53:28 AM »
A charcoal grate works really well - that's what I use at home. Don't use sand in mine, but if I did I would use kids sandbox or "play sand" as it is generally quite clean.

Nice find!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2017, 08:55:30 AM »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2017, 09:03:13 AM »
I would also recommend putting and old 22" cooking grate in the bottom if you have one. It creates good airflow underneath your wood and protects the bottom a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2017, 12:17:40 PM »

I would also recommend putting and old 22" cooking grate in the bottom if you have one. It creates good airflow underneath your wood and protects the bottom a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

As opposed to or in addition to sand?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

MTW524

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
FYI before using the fireplace, put a couple pounds of sand in the bottom.  I have found this will insulate the bottom and help keep the porcelain from cracking and crazing.

I completely agree with recommendation to use sand. Not only will it protect the porcelain, but it will also keep the fireplace from blowing away in a stiff wind.
Agreed. Go to the hardware store and get real play sand too. Regular dirt will rust out the finishes.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 08:23:33 AM »
A charcoal grate works really well - that's what I use at home. Don't use sand in mine, but if I did I would use kids sandbox or "play sand" as it is generally quite clean.

Nice find!

FYI before using the fireplace, put a couple pounds of sand in the bottom.  I have found this will insulate the bottom and help keep the porcelain from cracking and crazing.

I completely agree with recommendation to use sand. Not only will it protect the porcelain, but it will also keep the fireplace from blowing away in a stiff wind.
Agreed. Go to the hardware store and get real play sand too. Regular dirt will rust out the finishes.

Sent from my Pixel using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Good call on the charcoal grate!  I had some pool filter sand that I used before lighting my first fire in it this weekend!
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
Just to catch up. Will the nylon reinforced handles work on the firepit? After just one use with brand new wood handles it’s obvious they’re not going to hold up. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
I would think the wood handles would hold up if they are treated/protected. That's the thing with the Fireplace handles. Weber put that weird orange-y finish on them, but not an actual protectant such as polyurethane or even spar varnish.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »
I would think the wood handles would hold up if they are treated/protected. That's the thing with the Fireplace handles. Weber put that weird orange-y finish on them, but not an actual protectant such as polyurethane or even spar varnish.

I think the fireplace handles are also made out of bamboo.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
grabbed a firepit off of craigslist; what to do about the handles
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 10:23:56 PM »
Just to catch up. Will the nylon reinforced handles work on the firepit? After just one use with brand new wood handles it’s obvious they’re not going to hold up. 

I put taco shells on my fire pit... the wooden handles are holding up great! Would probably do a good job protecting the bulking reinforced handles, as well.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"