Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: If you polish your lid vents  (Read 3150 times)

Cellar2ful

If you polish your lid vents
« on: September 23, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »

When restoring a kettle, I usually polish the lid vent after it has been cleaned with steel wool.  In the past, this created a mess on the porcelain around the vent.  Don't know why I didn't think of this before. Cut a sheet of paper in half and work it beneath the lid vent.  This keeps the polish from getting beneath the lid vent and all over the porcelain. It also keeps the lid vent from turning while polishing. If the lid vent is tight like this one was, the lid vent can be lifted slightly with the blade of small screwdriver. This allows the paper to be slid beneath it. To protect the porcelain, I layed a cloth on the porcelain so the screwdriver is not actually touching the porcelain.  Saves a lot of clean up and detail work.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: If you polish your lid vents
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 07:38:17 PM »
Wow, that's only steel wool? I would have guessed Mother's Mag Wheel polish or similar.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
That's good tip.  BTW that lid vent is F&%#$% awesome,
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

... I usually polish the lid vent after it has been cleaned with steel wool...

Sorry for my question earlier; reading isn't my strength apparently!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »

@addicted-to-smoke  -  I do use a polish after I clean the lid vent with steel wool.   I use Rolite Supra 90 aircraft polish.  @zavod44  turned me onto it.  I used Mother's mag polish previously but Rolite cuts down on the polishing time. It's really expensive though.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »
So shiny! Great tip

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:28:06 AM »
Smart thinking!
I usually find myself in a similar situation, I totally might steal this tip

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wreck | fish

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
Brilliant idea!  Thanks for sharing.
1991 SSP (Blue)  |  1995 Performer (Black)  |  Bar B Kettle (Black)  |  18.5 WSM

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
I do the same thing with a twist. I cut a notch in the edge of one piece so that it can extend beyond the rivet and halfway point and the second piece overlaps it. Helps avoid the gaps. Beautiful blue!
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »
Were they originally that shinny? Shit if you were hurting for a mirror to shave by that would do. I notice with my polished knives that they are a pain in the ass to keep clean....same with these shinny vents?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 06:26:25 PM »
Great tip! only problem I see is now you have to polish up everything else to match that lid vent.  Great job on this blue.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 09:10:55 PM »

I do it the same way, but use duct tape.[emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 04:35:44 AM »
Hmmm, wonder if I can use that stuff on my pontoon tubes? Maybe with a auto-detailing buffer?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »
Hmmm, wonder if I can use that stuff on my pontoon tubes? Maybe with a auto-detailing buffer?

If the pontoons are aluminum, I don't see why not.  I believe they use variable speed buffers when detailing airplanes with Supra 90.

Beer-B-Q Breath

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 12:07:32 PM »
When I had a pontoon boat I went to a automatic car wash supply place and bought an acid by the gallon and diluted it that I sprayed on them. It was made for cleaning diesel off of aluminum fuel tanks on tractor trailers is what the guy told me. It ate right through the pontoon gunk but may not be enamel grill friendly unless masked

Sent from my SM-J737A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app