Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Butts on the summit charcoal  (Read 2382 times)

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
Butts on the summit charcoal
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »
Family is coming over today, so yesterday I put a couple butts on the summit charcoal with some beans underneath. Put them on at 3:30pm and pulled them at 1:30am. Internal temp was right at 198 and they were falling apart. Left beans on the whole time and they taste fantastic!!! WSC ran at 250 the whole time without one single adjustment. Just left the bottom vent cracked open and closed top vent down a little more than half way. This thing holds heat great and does not use shit for charcoal. I put about 3/4 of a 18.6lb bag of kingsford in unlit, and 6 lit coals along with some apple wood mixed in. Had all vents open for less than 5min and was at 245ish. Closed them down to where I mentioned and held 250 for 10hrs. And there is well over half the coals left not lit. This thing is a total beast!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Butts on the summit charcoal
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:03:39 AM »
That's one sexy smoker. If you pulled at 1:30 am how do you hold it until you serve it the next day?  I'm coming up on 4 hour rest in the cooler and people aren't coming over until 4. Can I hold it that long?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
From what I read last night, a lot of stuff said you can hold up to 10hrs or more. As long as it's packed nice in a good cooler. And don't let it drop below 150 I think. I pulled mine apart last night and put in fridge. Didn't want to, but I would have no time to do it all today. Just gonna put it on keep warm here in a bit before everyone gets here.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:34:57 AM »
I've got a really tight sealing cooler with an interior that's just big enough to hold a briskets, or a pair of butts, with a big, thick beach towel on top of it.  I've held meat for more than 4 hours and it was still very warm when slicing or pulling.  I don't know how much longer I could have gone, maybe another hour, maybe even longer.

I figure if I can serve pork cooked to 145º (per KCBS rules), it should be pretty safe as long it doesn't drop below that before serving.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
@HoosierKettle
@cumminfourya
@Big Dawg

Once it drops below 140º, the clock starts....after four hours, you're in a "bad bug growing" danger zone......

Just take care & use yer head.....don't push it too far & check w/ Thermapen or the like......

I let them sit for a short while (15 min. + a bit sometimes) to stall the cooking (temp drops slightly) then double foil, old clean towel & cooler, pack other towels around to contain heat.....

I've opened one after 7-1/2 hrs to find it at 155, but I think that's an exception....likely there's less available time in most cases....

If cooking & re-heat the next day, I'll break into large chunks (think baseball size) as it will retain more moisture as opposed to a complete shred.....maybe shred right before re-heat, w/ some reserved juice or mojo cirillo....or sauce of your choice....

...oh and PS: That Sherman Tank produces some nice lookin' pork !!!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:13:38 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 04:03:50 PM »
@HoosierKettle
@cumminfourya
@Big Dawg

Once it drops below 140º, the clock starts....after four hours, you're in a "bad bug growing" danger zone......

Just take care & use yer head.....don't push it too far & check w/ Thermapen or the like......

I let them sit for a short while (15 min. + a bit sometimes) to stall the cooking (temp drops slightly) then double foil, old clean towel & cooler, pack other towels around to contain heat.....

I've opened one after 7-1/2 hrs to find it at 155, but I think that's an exception....likely there's less available time in most cases....

If cooking & re-heat the next day, I'll break into large chunks (think baseball size) as it will retain more moisture as opposed to a complete shred.....maybe shred right before re-heat, w/ some reserved juice or mojo cirillo....or sauce of your choice....

This is probably a dumb question, but if the meat is fully cooked why does it matter if it drops below a certain temp?

Lets say I cook a pork tenderloin to 150 and i sit it on the kitchen counter, can I graze on it over the next few hours or is that not safe?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 04:29:19 PM »
julweiden, deterioration happens slowest in a fridge, and faster sitting at room temp. That's why 1buckie mentioned the rough time limit for foods allowed to drop below a certain point.

"Safe handling" doesn't mean everybody gets sick if shortcuts are taken, but that the likelihood increases.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

KettleKing

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
Beautiful Grill & nice bark on the butts good job

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bbqlvr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
Good looking shoulders.
As for resting meat, just be sure to keep an eye on temp and don’t let it fall too low as per previous posts.
Those WSC units have had me in a deeply (unwarranted) ‘want, must have = need’ phase since I first laid my eyes on one!  I really do not need one and have more than enough cooking arsenal to choose from.  Yet I long for one.  I’m a patient mofo though and one day I shall grab one.  One day ...
BBQLVR
Ranch, 26’er, Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre, SSP’s, SJ’s, CGA’s
Horizon offset, stick burner

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 11:18:39 AM »

@HoosierKettle
@cumminfourya
@Big Dawg

That particular time I ended up holding it in a normal Coleman cooler with a single towel for 5.5 hours and internal was still 152. I would guess that one of those fancy coolers could hold one all day?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

BBQFiend

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »
Here is my dumb question, in my head I can imagine the beans afterwards tasting delicious but after cooking butts and seeing what a pan looks like afterwards and knowing that's in my beans kind of turns my stomach. Do the beans look kind of gross after until you stir all the juice in?
Weber 22" Kettle Grill

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 12:26:06 PM »
Here is my dumb question, in my head I can imagine the beans afterwards tasting delicious but after cooking butts and seeing what a pan looks like afterwards and knowing that's in my beans kind of turns my stomach. Do the beans look kind of gross after until you stir all the juice in?

All that gross stuff is flavor [emoji16][emoji6]. They actually don’t look bad at all. And they taste excellent!!!

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »
@cumminfourya
Share the beans recipe, please. Butts & beans both look great!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »

Don't confuse burned juice smoking away in a pan with the same juice kept "alive" in a bucket of food. The beans wouldn't be burning, so neither would the juice that drips into it, yeah? :)

The only way for the beans to take on the grossness of a drip pan's crustiness would be to scrape it off and add it to the beans.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
@cumminfourya
Share the beans recipe, please. Butts & beans both look great!

I just throw a bunch of stuff in there. I’ve used Bush’s original beans or regular pork and beans (3 cans). Brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, honey, a whole onion and a can of pineapple chunks. I’ve thrown Lima beans in there and prolly other random stuff I’ve found in the house also.