Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: $48 for 2lbs of sirloin tip?!  (Read 1409 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
$48 for 2lbs of sirloin tip?!
« on: September 16, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
Then again, the grill and chimney were $40 of that total:

So I figured I should COOK somethin' on it, straight off the truck  ;)

Experiment; I somewhat followed this Baltimore Pit Beef With Tiger Sauce recipe, a link I stumbled upon via @1buckie : http://www.food.com/recipe/baltimore-pit-beef-with-tiger-sauce-501727#activity-feed

The idea was to merely cook the meat quickly over high, direct heat for a few minutes per side, remove when somewhere between 95-110 degrees, and then "tent" it for 30 minutes or so to finish.

It wasn't a roast of course, but a slice about 1" or 1.5" thick:

And after tenting/resting/finishing:

Yeah, so not cooked enough, right? I mean, looks pale, and that's not fluorescent lighting.

And thus, tender, juicy ... chewy ... no longer warm enough in my opinion.

There was a suggestion of a faux cambrio etc.for next time. Duly noted. Also, I could have cooked it longer.

3 out of 4 of us deemed it OK, and this is NOT a rare or medium rare crowd. The other zapped his plate for 30 seconds in the microwave and shazam, done. Wasn't overcooked or tough. Success. Will heat up great! Success. A new grill to mod. Success. This meat is like $5/lb here, not much different than ground beef, and more fun to play with.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
$48 for 2lbs of sirloin tip?!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »
"Faux Cambrio" thing a migige. How come every time I read your post, I have to look something up in the dictionary? I'm just not that upcoming, I guess.

Just kidding, Nice looking cookup! One suggestion, try cooking it directly on the coals (lump) next time. You might be surprised how quickly and delicious it works.  More malliard reaction for the cut of beef with the same IT results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:15:55 PM by Travis »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: $48 for 2lbs of sirloin tip?!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 04:26:29 AM »
Nice. Looks super juicy. The microwave has bailed me out on more than a few occasions when something isn't done to my liking or the families.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 05:10:57 AM »
"Faux Cambrio" thing a migige. How come every time I read your post, I have to look something up in the dictionary? I'm just not that upcoming, I guess.

Just kidding, Nice looking cookup! One suggestion, try cooking it directly on the coals (lump) next time. You might be surprised how quickly and delicious it works.  More malliard reaction for the cut of beef with the same IT results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used two charcoal baskets, arranged together on one side of the kettle, of KBB. Cheap charcoal is annoying with ash but it is consistent and mainly, I want to use what I have prior to buying new lump. I wanted to see if I could set up the heat one time, leave it going, and cook everything.

Mostly, it worked, but I could have just left the meat on a little longer. Coulda swore I read to take it off around 100 degrees and the tent would bring it up, over time, the rest of the way, but my foil tent didn't hold enough heat for that to happen.

Anyway, the meat didn't go on until after that had been going for an hour, cooking baking potatoes in the basement. I did stir them prior to laying the cook grate on, to wake them up a little. Seemed hot but wasn't super hot.

I did cook the meat directly over the two baskets, but not "directly on the coals" themselves, a la Julia Childs.

I would have been better off lighting new charcoal and cooking the meat on my Jumbo Joe sitting right there, unused. I certainly had the time to do so.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 01:32:46 PM »
and TaterZilla strikes yet again!

The theme I'm collecting re: this and similar cuts of cheap-yet-not-a-roast is to do them hot/fast, preferably marinated and/or injected. I'm usually too lazy to do either of the latter, but always trying to mend my ways.