Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket Flats  (Read 1343 times)

Al b que

• WKC Brave
Brisket Flats
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
  I know this is going to open up a whole lot of opinions.5 and a half pound brisket flat best method n best recipe. I've done brisket before just curious how everyone else does there's love to try something new. Let's Grill baby !!!

Sent from my VS986 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Brisket Flats
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
I don't usually do flats...just while packers. But I do mine like Aaron Franklin.

50/50 salt and course ground pepper at 250 degrees (I let the pit rise to 275 degrees toward the end). Wrap in pink butcher paper post stall and cook until 200-203. Rest for two hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:08:42 PM by Mike in Roseville »

Al b que

• WKC Brave
Re: Brisket Flats
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
Not heard the terminology Packer brisket is that whole brisket or a different cut?

Sent from my VS986 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:08:00 PM »
It's the whole thing...Point and flat attached. I cook them because that's what I usually find for sale and it's generally cheaper per lb to cook the whole brisket.

Sniper-T

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
Agree with Mike. Whole packers (prefer 12 pound range) also S&P. I know A. Franklin uses a kosher, but we seem to have great results from a quality grey sea salt and use a 50/50 mix with coarse black malabar pepper. Same finish as Mike, except I cook at 235-240.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »
Nothing wrong with cooking just the flat. My family likes it's because It's a leaner portion compared to the point and we don't need 12 lbs. of leftovers, lol.
A packer brisket contains the two muscles, flat and point, together.
Basic salt n pepper, spritz when it's lookin dry. Wrap if you choose. I wrap, others don't. Best to try both and find out what's best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »
It's the whole thing...Point and flat attached. I cook them because that's what I usually find for sale and it's generally cheaper per lb to cook the whole brisket.

I agree. For example, last time i picked up a brisket at sam's, a prime packer was cheaper than a choice flat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:56:38 AM »
I don't usually do flats...just while packers. But I do mine like Aaron Franklin.

50/50 salt and course ground pepper at 250 degrees (I let the pit rise to 275 degrees toward the end). Wrap in pink butcher paper post stall and cook until 200-203. Rest for two hours.

Little off topic but the only butcher paper i can find is a gigantic roll...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 06:09:43 AM »

Little off topic but the only butcher paper i can find is a gigantic roll...

I ordered my butcher paper from amazon. It is a pretty big roll but I'm fine with that

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 06:42:07 AM »
Rub however you like I use crystal sauce salt and pepper use plenty of salt

Cook at 250-275 until the internal temp stalls out around 165 then wrap in paper or foil until it cracks 200

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground