Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Probably a silly question  (Read 1573 times)

namtrag

• WKC Brave
Probably a silly question
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:08:24 AM »
I have a 2001 model performer, and had a somewhat silly question.

Although I keep the top vents closed when not in use, my ash pot continually gets full of water and coagulates into thick mud when the water mixes with the ash.

I know one solution is to always empty the pot once the ashes are completely extinguished, but that's not always possible, and then it slips my mind.  Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening, or is it just the design of these grills that the water runs down the sides and drains into the pot?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »
My gen 2 performer or any other kettles do not do that. That would drive me insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:12:52 AM by HoosierKettle »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Probably a silly question
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
I have a 2001 model performer, and had a somewhat silly question.

Although I keep the top vents closed when not in use, my ash pot continually gets full of water and coagulates into thick mud when the water mixes with the ash.

I know one solution is to always empty the pot once the ashes are completely extinguished, but that's not always possible, and then it slips my mind.  Is there something I can do to prevent it from happening, or is it just the design of these grills that the water runs down the sides and drains into the pot?

A cover will solve that problem.  This is the best cover I have had for my '02 performer.

https://www.grillstuff.com/collections/weber-grill-covers/products/weber-performer-charcoal-grill-cover-2004-and-older

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »
What happened to my post?  ARGh!  Technology!!

Anyway.. it happens all the time on my grills.  I assume there is a reasonable fit between the vent and the lid.  Does your lid also have a thermometer?  Some water may weep in there too.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »
This is upsetting to me. One of my favorite things about weber kettles is being water tight and not needing a cover. I'll quit grilling if I'm forced to pull a cover on and off

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »
I don't believe the were ever water tight.   Mostly by dumb luck is one actually water tight.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:44:32 AM »
I never had water in the pot on my performer when the cover was left off or blew off in storms.  Fill a large cup with water and when its dry outside pour it slowly over the center of the lid.  See if it is getting in down the sides of the bowl or somehow getting inside the grill.

@HoosierKettle you know you love grilling too much to let a little water get in the way.
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:33 AM »
My guess is that you're not using a cover & that the ash bucket ring is probably not tight enough to the kettle. My theory is that any water that hits the bowl should gravitate and run down the outside of the ring. If the ring doesn't touch the bowl, it'll keep going til it hits the lowest spot & drip into ash bucket. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
Unless the lid is bent near handle. Could create a low spot near thermometer hole.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:49 AM »
I keep my kettles covered, each one has its own cover. No issues. Butt, when waiting for it to cool, then get hit with rain. Yup, a mess. Water runs down the side of the bowl, and directly into the ash catcher. Yup. That's it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:50:56 AM »
I do have a cheap thermometer on it that slides into the handle.  I will try the experiment with a pitcher of water and see what happens.  I will also get up under it and see how the ash bucket ring looks.    I'll report back what I find out in case it's of interest to others having the problem.

Barring all else, it sounds like that cover is the way to go!  I remember not being able to find one to fit exactly, so this link is perfect.  I would like it to have a cover anyway.  Thanks guys!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »
The water runs down the side of the bowl and drips into the ash bucket. I have it happen all the time. I store my kettles in the yard with the ash buckets inside and only put them on the bottom when I'm actually grilling.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
If wet mess is just in the ash catch and not grill than it has to be what brewtown said. Every kettle I have had are water tight in the sense that there is never any wet ash in the bowl. I have smoked and grilled right through a down pour and no problem. Still no water in the bowl and that's with the lid vent open (in use, closed if not). Not so much on the wsm for obvious reasons.  And that's all vintages and types of weber kettles. I don't think I'm that lucky. Maybe a drop or 2 gets in but never had anything noticeable.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:58:57 AM by HoosierKettle »

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
I think it's actually 2 of the 3 components of concrete at this point..

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
My guess is that you're not using a cover & that the ash bucket ring is probably not tight enough to the kettle. My theory is that any water that hits the bowl should gravitate and run down the outside of the ring. If the ring doesn't touch the bowl, it'll keep going til it hits the lowest spot & drip into ash bucket. 

This is exactly the deal with my SSP.  The ring has never been tight against the kettle bowl.....always has been a little loose with a gap, even when brand new.  When not covered, the ash bucket gets soaked.  My OKP ring is a much tighter fit....but even so, some water will get in the bucket if not covered.  Rain is the only reason I keep 'em covered when not in use.....side benefit is less abuse from the hot GA sun.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;