Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Slow and sear vs wsm  (Read 4623 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Slow and sear vs wsm
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:29:46 AM »
Do I need both?  I currently have an 18" wsm that is a great cooker but only gets used in low and slow. I do not have a slow and sear and I would like one. Can I justify having both wsm and slow and sear?  I know they are totally different but my preferred smoker is probably the 26" kettle. I'm kicking around the idea of getting the sns in the 22 size so I can use in all the kettles.

So I guess it boils down to should I sell the wsm to fund a sns?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:32:54 AM by HoosierKettle »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: Slow and sear vs wsm
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
I don't know if I'd get rid of the WSM.  I got rid of a drum smoker at the beginning of the summer and picked up a Smoke EZ.  It works as advertised but it's just not the same as having a dedicated smoker. 

That being said, I have a SNS in one of my kettles and I like it quite a bit. 

I guess my input is to keep both and save up for the 22" SNS.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:21:37 AM »
My input is sell the WSM to fund the SnS. I don't own a WSM but with multiple kettles I don't really see any need for one. If I could only have 2 cookers due to space then sure a kettle and WSM makes sense. You smoke with kettles today correct? The SnS is also a kick ass sear tool. 2n1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:59:01 AM »

My input is sell the WSM to fund the SnS. I don't own a WSM but with multiple kettles I don't really see any need for one. If I could only have 2 cookers due to space then sure a kettle and WSM makes sense. You smoke with kettles today correct? The SnS is also a kick ass sear tool. 2n1

Yes i smoke on the kettles all the time. They are always out and ready to go. The wsm absolutely excels at holding 250 for long periods of time but the kettles do nearly as well. I like water in the pan and I always use water in the kettles when smoking low and slow. The sns would be a superior, more convenient way of doing what I already do and would be used for grilling and smoking.  I'm using the bigger better basket at the moment in similar fashion with success. I know the sns would get used way more often than the wsm.  I have no idea, I may have to have both and decide later.

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
I have the WSM 18 , 22 and a SnS for my 22 kettle. The SnS is great but no way would I sell my 18 to get one. With the SnS you're still limited to smoking real estate , can't do overnight cooks with peace of mind like you can with the WSM . The SnS won't keep your target temp as long as a WSM will. Just my thoughts

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
I sold my SnS as I never used it. The WSM is just too good. 

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »
Not starting a pissing match. I've got 9 hours with my SnS before. Does the WSM go a lot longer? I'd like to try one just so I could see for myself but I don't see them online often and it would have to be dirt cheap.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
I just flipped the $20 WSM I bought a few weeks ago to buy a SnS...

I like the WSM, but I love smoking on my 26ers.  My frustrations with the WSM were mostly about adding charcoal, mess, and just the number of parts involved...Overall, I've bought (used) and then sold 3 WSMs, and I've never missed any of them.  On the other hand, I do miss all the kettles I've sold or given away!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
I've got 16 hours on my 18" WSM, more than once

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
Damn. 16 hours would be sweet.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
If space isn't a problem, keep both. The WSM is a great smoker and cooker. I have a 22, it's a beast, I probably only needed the 18, but bigger is better in my eyes.
16 hours at 250? No problem, with Weber charcoal, I think I could get 20+ hours, brisket? No problem.
You have invested into your WSM, don't sell it and regret it.
Have you tried hot and fast in it? Have you taken the water pan out and smoked over the coals with the fat dripping on them?

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
Slow and sear vs wsm
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
Not starting a pissing match. I've got 9 hours with my SnS before. Does the WSM go a lot longer? I'd like to try one just so I could see for myself but I don't see them online often and it would have to be dirt cheap.

my WSM 18 went 12 plus hours on 2 chimneys of Weber charcoal running 225. Also bigger water pan so no need to refill water. Only overnight cook I did with my SnS , around 3 am the water steamed out and temps rose pretty high . Why I love having WSM. Set it up and let it go while you sleep without a worry in the world . I just picked my CB door and ring up from their warehouse. Got to fire it up to calibrate my new thermometer and why I'm at it , doing a rack of ribs for tomorrow. Going to let it rip and see how long it goes with my upgraded charcoal ring.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:17:27 PM by wessonjb »

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »

I just had a brisket on mine last weekend for 14 hours. Was just about out of charcoal but it was still holding 215 degrees. That was always my biggest complaint about the SnS was that I was always having to reload it when I did large cuts of meat (brisket or butts). I was able to get a longer burn time with a snake so found myself doing that more often then using the SnS and finally sold it to a buddy who was really wanting to get one. Don't get me wrong, it did a great job or 6-7 hours (never got longer than that out of mine) but any longer and I was refueling.  Brandon, if you want to give one a try, let me know. I have (3) of the 18's, (2) 14's and one 22  ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:22:39 PM by indy82z »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
Lol Tom! It's fall and football season so I may take you up on that brother.

@wessonjb I saw your post with the new door. That is the way it should look from the factory. Your cooker looks sweet brother.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
I have a 26er (22 SnS) and a 22 WSM. 

I use the 26er at least 3-4 times a week and have done everything on it except a brisket.  Not because I don't think it could handle it, but just because, situationally, I was doing other things on the 26er.

I only use the WSM 4-5 times a year, but would never consider getting rid of it.  For me the WSM is like that specialty tool that, when you need it, it's really what you need.  Also, I have the WSM set up for my CyberQ which really takes all the pressure off on those really long cooks.  I know my WSM is a hog, but I can put a brisket on, go to sleep, run errands, etc. and not have to worry or check it until I've hit the stall.  Could never do that on my 26er.

I know that a lot of you guys have many, many, many Kettles (I do not) so that would be the only reason I would consider selling the WSM.

BD
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 02:51:28 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna