Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Uncommon Transition Handles?  (Read 2415 times)

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Uncommon Transition Handles?
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
I know Weber switched from wood to synthetic handles sometime around 1997. I have seen a few styles of synthetic handles, but have never seen any like this on any other kettle.

Has anyone else seen handles like these? These are on my 1997 Ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MDurso

• WKC Brave
Re: Uncommon Transition Handles?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
Well certainly I have!

And there was a bit of mixing and matching either to fill orders or by accident of lid handles with side handles -such as those on the Go-Anywhere.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »
I have them on 22s, 18s, SSPs.
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Actually I may have them on my Go Anywhere.  I found one on the shelf that had Marlboro wood handles so I swapped them for the ribbed set.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
Thanks everyone. I have never really seen them before on other kettles which is why I was a little curious.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
It's a shame that the source for the wood handles burned down.  It was a local (to Weber) guy and he just didn't reopen after that.  It became too expensive to get them from anywhere else -or rather- they didn't want to start paying more.  Then they thought they looked old and junky after they were seasoned a few summers, the fall off, hands get burned....  </rolling eyes>

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
SS Perf

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »
I've got a couple grills with 2-rivet handles that were screwed on.

Any info on those @MDurso?
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
I've got a couple grills with 2-rivet handles that were screwed on.

Any info on those @MDurso?

I'm sorry I do not.  The wooden handles had already ran their course before I was at Weber.  Could those screws be original?  Maybe.  Did they run out of rivets or did someone replace the rivets?  Possibly.  Also if a replacement handle was sent out at some point, screws would have been the way to attach them by the home owner.

Fortunately the forums raise all these questions and eventually other chime in, we can put the puzzle pieces together.

That handle looks to be in great condition.  Do you know the approx. year of the grill?

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
The grill is a 1981 Charcoal Go-Anywhere.  All three handles are screwed on which leads me to believe they came that way from the factory. I have yet to take them off to see if there is a nutsert on the back of the handle or if they are just screwed into the wood.  I have another 1977 which has a similar handle that has nuts embedded in the back of the handle.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »
My go anywhere is gas.  I'll need to check how these were attached (the Marlboro special offer ones).

I concur with believing they are factory, but I know the Marlboro handles I have did not have the nut insert.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
I used to find the ridged handles on Chimneys.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 06:20:20 PM »
This one is a great semi-uncommon transition year handle. The first year of the single screw handles(1981) with the "The One The Only" slogan.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
Not sure if it's original but i have it on a '91 ssp.

JV

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:24 PM »
Hey @MDurso, glad to see you on WKC. I've always enjoyed your posts about Weber behind the scenes.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791