Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!! (Red Ranger Restore)  (Read 4762 times)

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
Re: IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!!! (Red Ranger Restore)
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »

@Lowbrass , Congrats on an awesome restore. Pan looks awesome.

@glrasmussen, I can't thank you enough!  It was one of the last steps.  I took a bunch of pictures of the restored ranger without it and thought it looked great...then I made the pan, and it completes the grill!  Now I look at the old pictures without it and it just doesn't look right.  Once again, thanks a million!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Special thanks to @Jeff, just passing on down what he was able to help me with on my restore.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
   Wow, this definitely puts you on Olympian level status. Again wow.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 02:26:39 AM »
Dam, very nice!!!

jeffrackmo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
Cant wait to see it Sunday!!!  Man that is just... just... AMAZING!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Lets just say I have acquired a few Kettles.  Big and small.   Vintage and New...  Some say I have a problem.  I find the Kettle, buy the Kettle, USE the Kettle...No problem...

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »
Wow! That really cleaned up nicely! Congrats.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »
WOW! Great color/restore...really is amazing!

Should be Miss October '18.  ;D
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

brewmasterc

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 07:58:05 AM »
What a beauty! Well Done!

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 08:04:27 AM »
Absolutely beautiful! What connects the kettle to the frame? Does it just sit on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

PB-UK

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
Beautiful work! You should be proud.

Bertman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »
[emoji15][emoji15] def calendar material!!

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »

Absolutely beautiful! What connects the kettle to the frame? Does it just sit on it?

No, the bowl has threaded nipples welded on the sides.  They rest in holes in the legs.  The cross beam on the back of the legs that the ash pan rests on holds everything in place.

Holy. Schnickies!  GREAT cleanup. Thanks for documenting this resto and sharing with us. Perfect RRR post, bud. [emoji106][emoji106]

I actually have tons of pictures and measurements because another member reached out to me about a possible recreation project.  I actually think it would be very easy for anyone who has a pipe bender that can bend a 1" pipe and something to crimp it at the end that connects to the wheel.  If anyone wants to attempt to make their own Ranger and needs me to e-mail my detailed pics with measurements  and snail mail templates I made of the legs just shoot me a PM.

"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 06:34:54 PM »
Ok, so I couldn’t resist the thread name but I feel I should clarify some things.  First, for those who understand the reference - Voltron is way better than Power Rangers, and second - it really isn’t a “red” Ranger, it is burnt orange.  Anywho, a couple of months ago, I was seemingly "one with kettle karma" and scored this Ranger for free.  It is actually a really great story that can be found here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/your-feel-good-story-of-the-day-kettle-karma-at-its-best-(lengthy-pic-heavy)/msg312401/#msg312401 .

Once I had some free time, I reached out to some of the grillfellas who I knew had Rangers with questions about restoration.  @cwestsmokin and @glrasmussen were kind enough to respond and help me out with pictures, links, and instructions with a template so I could make a new ash pan.  Also @TheDude was kind enough to send me some replacement hubcaps.  Enough talk though…on with the pictures!

I started out with the obvious scrapping.

Bowl scrapped out and off the frame.

Upon further inspection I was disappointed to see the bottom of the bowl.  LOTS of pock marks.  Ugly, but not the end of the world.  Especially since this grill is super low to the ground anyway.

After the bowl came the dismantling of the frame.

Once everything was apart, cleaned, and sanded (if need be).  The restoration process really kicked into gear starting with a fresh coat of paint for the legs (which each break down to 2 sections) and back cross beam that holds everything together and the ash pan rests on.

The lid and bowl got the Simply Green bbq cleaner with 0000 steel wool treatment and really came out nicely (LOVE that burnt orange gleam!)

The fifty + year old grates got a vinegar bath for two days with an oil drip tray from Autozone, my roti ring, and an old shower curtain combined with a huge contractor trash bag to act as the “pool liner.’

Soon it was time to start reassembly.  I purchased sheet aluminum from Home Depot and got some help with my father in law cutting it and hemming/bending it with a press brake using the measurements and template I got from @glrasmussen.  I did the bowing myself, which could have been better but after a coat of paint, it still looks awesome!  I even had enough metal for a second pan!

The frame went together nicely and thanks to @cwestsmokin’s detective work with his restore, I was able to purchase some NOS bicycle grips that nearly MATCHED the old grips.  (Side note, getting these dudes on was the HARDEST part of the restore.)  The grips are 7/8” diameter while the Ranger legs are 1” diameter.  Thanks to CWest’s suggestion of boiling water to soften the rubber and soap, I was eventually able to get the grips on the Ranger handles.

The last touch was something I came up with.  The bottom of the Ranger legs, the part that rests on the ground had two elongated holes from years of being set down/scrapped across concrete.  I didn’t want to make them worse so I found some coved patio furniture bumpers thinking I would either have to drill the holes a little bigger for the bumper stems, or glue the stems on if the holes were already too big.  As it turned out, they were a perfect match.  No more wearing down the metal!

The fifty year old grates came out of the vinegar bath and got cleaned up additionally with a steel wire brush attachment for my cordless drill and now look silver again.  I WILL be using these grates, they cleaned up better than I hoped!

At last the restoration is finished and I couldn’t be more excited with the outcome!  This Ranger looks great and I can’t wait to have the inaugural cook on it!

Jaw hits floor. That's purty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.