Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Questions about rotisserie  (Read 2073 times)

Joetee

• WKC Brave
Questions about rotisserie
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »
I know this question has gone around a lot and I have read quit a bit about this subject. But... I still have questions.

I have made some outstanding spatchcock chicken on my 22 inch Weber kettle using indirect heat. Wonderfully juicy etc.

So would I benefit from buying a rotisserie?

If so...
I've searched and looked at the One grill, Weber, and Cajon bandit.

Which one would be the best. I'm at gaget guy who don't mind spending a little extra of the quality is justified.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
Re: Questions about rotisserie
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
I know this question has gone around a lot and I have read quit a bit about this subject. But... I still have questions.

I have made some outstanding spatchcock chicken on my 22 inch Weber kettle using indirect heat. Wonderfully juicy etc.

So would I benefit from buying a rotisserie?

If so...
I've searched and looked at the One grill, Weber, and Cajon bandit.

Which one would be the best. I'm at gaget guy who don't mind spending a little extra of the quality is justified.

I can only speak for the Weber... haven't used the others. I love it. I've done lots of things on it, including duck, chicken, pork loin... the list goes on. What ever you end up with, find a basket to hold some of the meats. The spit is okay with birds, butt I don't like poking a hole thru a pork loin, etc... I was luck enough to find an EZ Que basket when I bought my rotiss, they are no longer in production. There are others out there tho.

Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 09:26:39 AM »
100% with @hawgheaven  I have the Weber rotisserie kit and I LOVE it !
The Weber kit was the only one I could get at the time here in Europe but is worth every penny and THE MOST used accessory that I have. It is almost idiot proof because everything that I put on it turns out fantastic !

I like the idea of SS for the ring.. the New Weber ring has everything I want also! That little bump on the bottom that makes it seal better.. others have that also but are made with SS, again .. not for sale here in Europe :-(.
Look for that little bump on the bottom of the ring and then buy what you can afford ! Trust me and and all the other rotisserie lovers.. you will love it and wonder how you ever cooked with out it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:32:49 AM by vwengguy »

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:41:00 AM »
I have the Cajun bandit. Quality is unbelievable. If you have a WSM or plan to get one, it can be used on that too. Everything I cook on it turns out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »

My rotisserie is my most used accessory.  The chickens and turkeys that come off a rotisserie are unbelievably moist. IMHO, you can't duplicate it using other methods.  I have both the older model Weber rotisserie ring that sits on tabs and the newer style that @vwengguy mentioned above. The newer style does seal better, but I prefer the older style ring for stability.  I spin a lot of big 20+lb turkeys.  The newer style can shift when loading one end of the spit. After the second time of almost dumping my turkey into the coals, I went back to using the older style.  Yes, it does not seal as well, but it is much more stable.  Several members have added a couple of bolts to theirs to stop the shifting of the newer style while loading. I have also spun rib eye roasts that my guests were amazed with.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
My Weber rotis is leaky as hell, but it still makes great food.  As others have said, there is nothing like it to get juicy meats. 

...the best selling point for me was this:  walk outside and listen to your grill with the rotis on.  Then hit the 'off' switch... what you immediately hear is the psst, psst, psst of the juices hitting your drip pan.  Which means that when it's running, those juices are just traveling eternally around the surface of your food.  Which makes the outside crispy and the inside juicy.  It's really amazing. 
One of the charcoal people.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 06:54:00 PM »
I have had the rotisserie for 13 years.  I am still on the original motor.  Awesome accessory.  There is no better chicken than brined rotisserie chicken.  My brother who competes in BBQ even raved about it.  Also a go to for Thanksgiving turkey....cant be beat.  Other folks use it for large cuts of beef.  I have the old "leaky" Weber rotisserie.  It does not negatively affect the quality of the food, nor the cooking process.  Definitely worth the $$$.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
I'm definitely in the minority here but I wouldn't go out and buy any rotisserie at retail price. If one came with a CL score then fine but I personally wouldn't go seek one out. Spatchcock is just fine for poultry and I think for most things you can get similar results without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Exdalawer

• Happy Cooker
    • whoagirls
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
The only rotisserie I buy are from Whole Foods, but they're quite pricey. I'd rather just do my own and save the money with just as good of a taste. Also works great with pork for me.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 04:06:56 AM »
Ok so as far as brand, does anyone have experience comparing the 3? Is there another brand to consider?

Donald McRonald

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 05:20:56 AM »
I've only ever used the Weber original rotisserie and can only confirm what the others have already said; a great accessory.
Sure indirect cooking can give you similar results but there's nothing like the smell sizzling off the hot coals as the chicken rotates.
With chicken I like to cook over direct heat and the rotisserie allows this.
Combined with a rotisserie basket (see link below) and butterflied chicken(s) lunch or dinner doesn't get much better.

https://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/multi-use-basket-for-large-spit-rotisseries

I did a cook recently with two 1450 grams butterflied chickens and in around 40-45 mins dinner was served.
The chicken was moist, juicy and the skin crispy with great flavor.
Pics aren't the best but the end result justifies the investment (although a little pricey here in Oz at $249).

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 08:09:39 AM »
Ok so as far as brand, does anyone have experience comparing the 3? Is there another brand to consider?

If you can find the Weber brand rotisserie on CL, or Offerup, etc., then that would be the way to go.  If you are patient, you will find one.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Smoke23

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Looking good!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:11:20 PM by Smoke23 »