Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Briquettes warm during storage  (Read 1156 times)

Campwhatnot

• Smokey Joe
Briquettes warm during storage
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »
Hey gang. I ran into a situation this past weekend. I previously poured some briquettes (and 2 small pieces of hickory wood) into a plastic storage container which has a somewhat air tight snap lid which I use to use for cat food. The container was outside a couple of weeks back during a cook and the inside of the bin may have got a bit damp during the cook. Yesterday I grabbed it for a cook (it was stored in the garage) and the outside of the plastic bin was warm. I also noticed moisture buildup on the inside of the bin. When I opened the lid of the bin I could feel moist, warm air rising out of it. I let it dry out and the briquettes worked fine. I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of a self starting fire in the bin. The briquettes are not self starters soaked in fluid either. The garage was warm and humid inside for a week or so while the bin was stored inside it, then it cooled off a few days ago as the weather pattern changed. Thoughts and comments?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:35:38 AM by Campwhatnot »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Briquettes warm during storage
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »
Sounds like it was just moisture inside warmed by outside air temp. Or maybe it was warmed by sunlight of a window. This was unused charcoal correct?  Unused charcoal would not self ignite. Neither would fully extinguished used coal for that matter. Used coal can have some hot embers in it the next day so you would not want to store used coal in a plastic container.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:35:00 AM by HoosierKettle »

Campwhatnot

• Smokey Joe
Re: Briquettes warm during storage
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
Thx for the reply. The briquettes were not previously used. Bin was inside a plastic garden bin in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 06:06:57 AM »
Is the charcoal Kingsturd.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Dsorgnzd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 06:05:54 AM »

Hank from Franks

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »
Sounds like the hickory is starting to compost.  Moisture would start it.  Moisture will collect when you seal the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app