Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Drip n griddle  (Read 1853 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Drip n griddle
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
How does this compare to a cast iron griddle?  I've never used a stainless griddle but I know almost every restaurant griddle is stainless so they can't be bad. Anyone used both types and which one do you like better?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Drip n griddle
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 05:25:24 AM »
I only have a CI griddle and we like it. Great for making big batches of pancakes or bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Drip n griddle
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:31:43 AM »
I only have a CI griddle and we like it. Great for making big batches of pancakes or bacon.

Yeah I really like our cast iron griddle too, but the size and shape of the drip and griddle really looks like it would work nice. I've never used stainless before so not sure how it cooks.

The family loves smash burgers and that's the only way they want them now. I just made some last night. I probably make them once a week now. I'm getting a good routine down. I bring everything out on one huge pan and put the raw meat on parchment.  Then remove parchment and carry on cooked burgers. I only make one trip out and one trip to the table with everything cooked.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
I feel where you are here. I like the shape and size of the DnG as well. My inside cookware is tri-ply stainless and while it's great cookware sometimes I just default to my CI skillet. I love the seasoning and non stick of the CI, easy to clean and awesome to cook with. Stainless isn't bad as long as you don't have the heat too high. Then everything sticks and burns into the pan. SOS pads clean it right up. I think the DnG pan would be a pain in the ass to clean unless you had a nice deep sink.

Those smash burgers look fucking awesome!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
I have a drip n griddle and love it. It washes clean very easy. I use it all the time now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:25:38 AM »
I have a few griddles, both CI and SS.  I like them both but when it comes pure searing like smash burgers, CI is the way to go, ss it really good for breakfast cooking.  Issue with searing on a SS is it doesn't retain the heat like CI does, so when you smash a burger, SS quickly loses it's heat so you have to move the meat around a lot.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:14:25 AM »
Thanks all. Great info. I'll probably stick with cast iron for burgers but sounds like the drip and griddle would be handy as well. I also use the "grillgrates" for smash burgers as well and they do a great job too. They are cast aluminum.

I do like the lip and shape of the drip and griddle. I could see using it for fajitas and stir fry maybe.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 07:47:34 AM »
@HoosierKettle those burgers look awesome by the way!! and your cast iron griddle is neat looking
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
I'm still waiting to find a nice copper griddle.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:49 AM »

@HoosierKettle those burgers look awesome by the way!! and your cast iron griddle is neat looking

Thanks!  Its a Paula deen griddle I got years ago. It's not setting on the grate. The handles rest on the bowl and it is rock solid. The curve of the handles keep it from moving. The only reason I left the grate on is to have a warming area for the finished burgers. A quick search only turned up a couple on eBay.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Stainless-Griddle-Circle/dp/B00DENRMOW

Thin, but mine has not warped. Like the way it fits on my coleman propane stove. Yes it has two hot spots where the two burners are but I can sear two burgers at a time and move them to a cooler part to finish. Cooks bacon good if you rotate the strips on and off the hot spots. I used half slices. Propane allows quick heat adjustments. Won't work as a drip pan tho because of its size. The front grease Res. works good to scrap off your spatula

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 03:31:57 AM »
I have a few griddles, both CI and SS.  I like them both but when it comes pure searing like smash burgers, CI is the way to go, ss it really good for breakfast cooking.  Issue with searing on a SS is it doesn't retain the heat like CI does, so when you smash a burger, SS quickly loses it's heat so you have to move the meat around a lot.
I second this... not for the immediate hot n fast. I believe there's a serious eats article that explains the science of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mkrause

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 03:32:47 AM »
I second this... not for the immediate hot n fast. I believe there's a serious eats article that explains the science of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app