Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: babyback maniac Weber Charcoal Summit 1yr review  (Read 3174 times)

TD

• WKC Brave
Re: babyback maniac Weber Charcoal Summit 1yr review
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »
Cause they got the equipment to weld them on , and can hang the current style ash system.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 06:13:35 PM »
How bad do you need the extra efficiency of a dual wall?

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »
Love his review.   But it is nothing more than a glorified 26
Especially with the leg sockets that serve no use.
If it was designed from scratch why would it have them??

I'm not buying that and I think this comment is a bit short sighted. Perhaps leg sockets help with the manufacturing process? Maybe they included them for the user that wanted to put legs and a triangle on it? I definitely think it was designed from scratch and the SCG is way more than just a modified 26er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »
They did the same thing on the Performer.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
I like the lid vent design.

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 11:59:35 AM »

Glorified 26" ?  Wrong.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 12:18:45 PM »

Glorified 26" ?  Wrong.

I saw one at an ace. Definitely not a glorified 26. I like the leg sockets. Just reminds you it's a weber.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jet300

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 04:15:25 PM »
Yeah. Leg sockets are their thing.  I thought they looked odd sitting there when I assembled my first Performer back in 2014. At the time I thought they could have used some other tab to mount the ash catcher. But, in retrospect there isn't a solid business reason to design a whole other part and have separate tooling around to manufacture and attach a different mount.  When I saw the mounts on the Summit my reaction was "Nice! It's a real deal Weber".

Oh and I'll also concur with the assement that this is in NO WAY a glorified 26" Kettle. I always tell people that pictures do it no justice.  And it's true. I only started to truly appreciate it as I started using it.  It's just a pleasure to cook on.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2017, 08:21:44 PM »
Just watched the video. I like Baby Back Maniac; he's definitely a genuine guy, not a hyped-up salesman.

Likely addressed in early reviews, but if the Summit Charcoal negates the need for a chimney, as Weber seems to imply, that's a significant benefit given that most charcoal owners (non-Grillfellas ...) don't even know about charcoal chimneys. I have a friend, who has a SS Performer I GAVE him, and he still lights it with newspapers crumpled up and lit from a match.

Point being, for those of us accustomed to chimneys, if I can get the same startup performance outta the grill without needing to load chimney, dump chimney, arrange coals ... I'm interested even more.

re: gasket.
That was disappointing. I'd have expected Weber to consult an engineer, or at least a product planner about the leak. But it sure sounds as if they didn't, and fell back on what limited resources that had: either replace something under warranty without question, or deny the problem altogether. He got stuck in some weird no man's land of an issue but yeah it might've been solved with a new gasket. That said, if the lid gasket's not "user-serviceable" there's your reason.

And yes the leg sockets are a plus here, and not because in 30 years @Hell Fire Grill or someone else will support a curbside Summit Charcoal with hardware store shower curtain rod legs. They would have had to needlessly engineer an all-new way to attach an ash catcher. Even if the bowl used simple tabs, a new ash catcher ring would have had to been made. Glad they didn't.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch